Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2012, 11:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default ASUS Xonar DS, DG or D1?

I am looking to get a discrete sound card because I am tired of listening to the crappy on-board Realtek sound chip through my Sennheiser HD 580 (modded with HD 600/650 parts). I am currently building a headphone amplifier for the headphones. So, the sound card does not need an amplifier on it. I will mostly use it to listen to music, but I will play the occasional game.

Which sound card is best for me out of the three listed in the title? I also open to other suggestions for sound cards that are up to $80.

Also, I does the able to swap the op-amp make a big difference? Or should that be lower on list of pros and cons of a sound card?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Larry.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you selecting PCI for a reason? Or could your MB support PCIE? If so, I'd suggest the DX. That's what I use, and the jump from on-board is incredible. Espescially for use with headphones, the ASUS Headphone option with virtual surround is incredible for gaming.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Are you selecting PCI for a reason? Or could your MB support PCIE? If so, I'd suggest the DX. That's what I use, and the jump from on-board is incredible. Espescially for use with headphones, the ASUS Headphone option with virtual surround is incredible for gaming.
The D1 is essentially the DX without the PCI-E bridge chip, you would in theory get better sound out of the D1.

If the DAC and audio processor are the only things that matter, I would go for the D1.
Old August 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I selected PCI as I do not have any PCIE slots free.
Old August 22, 2012, 03:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The D1 is essentially the DX without the PCI-E bridge chip, you would in theory get better sound out of the D1.
This answers a question I've been waiting for.. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If the DAC and audio processor are the only things that matter, I would go for the D1.
What do you mean? What features are missing from the D1 that the DX have?

Basically I'm got a set of Tritton HDA 510's and want something decent to drive them.. I am also thinking of possibly getting a semi-decent set of cans in the future.

I guess all I need is good quality and a decent interface with Graphic EQ (as I'll have proper 5.1 and good cans)?

Last edited by Dzzope; August 22, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:36 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
What do you mean? What features are missing from the D1 that the DX have?
Some sound cards, such as the Xonar DG or Xonar Essence ST, have a built-in headphone amp in addition to the DAC and audio processor. But if you have an external headphone amp then you do not need a headphone amp on the sound card. You would then only need the DAC and audio processor.

A headphone amp is use to drive high-impedance headphones such as mine.

The only difference between the D1 and DX is the interface, the D1 is PCI and the DX is PCIE.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkramer View Post

The only difference between the D1 and DX is the interface, the D1 is PCI and the DX is PCIE.
Cool, cheers, sorry for Hijacking the thread..
Old August 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Cool, cheers, sorry for Hijacking the thread..
No problem. I do not consider your post hijacking as your questions were relevant to this thread's topic.

Larry.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Rookie

I had a DG at one point. I remember getting it since it was the better bang for the buck at $25. I didn't have the need for the 7.1 and other frills the DX had to offer.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does the D1 require a floppy power connector like the DX? Id rather use legacy PCI then PCIe if thats the case...Makes my case ugly.

Edit: Nevermind, the intel Retail Edge store had a DX up on points. For the price of FREE with free shipping, I'll deal with the floppy connector
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; August 23, 2012 at 10:44 AM.