Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   ASUS Xonar DS, DG or D1? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/56239-asus-xonar-ds-dg-d1.html)

lkramer August 21, 2012 11:07 AM

ASUS Xonar DS, DG or D1?

I am looking to get a discrete sound card because I am tired of listening to the crappy on-board Realtek sound chip through my Sennheiser HD 580 (modded with HD 600/650 parts). I am currently building a headphone amplifier for the headphones. So, the sound card does not need an amplifier on it. I will mostly use it to listen to music, but I will play the occasional game.

Which sound card is best for me out of the three listed in the title? I also open to other suggestions for sound cards that are up to $80.

Also, I does the able to swap the op-amp make a big difference? Or should that be lower on list of pros and cons of a sound card?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Larry.

Caldezar August 21, 2012 03:01 PM

Are you selecting PCI for a reason? Or could your MB support PCIE? If so, I'd suggest the DX. That's what I use, and the jump from on-board is incredible. Espescially for use with headphones, the ASUS Headphone option with virtual surround is incredible for gaming.

ilya August 21, 2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caldezar (Post 650180)
Are you selecting PCI for a reason? Or could your MB support PCIE? If so, I'd suggest the DX. That's what I use, and the jump from on-board is incredible. Espescially for use with headphones, the ASUS Headphone option with virtual surround is incredible for gaming.

The D1 is essentially the DX without the PCI-E bridge chip, you would in theory get better sound out of the D1.

If the DAC and audio processor are the only things that matter, I would go for the D1.

lkramer August 21, 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caldezar (Post 650180)

I selected PCI as I do not have any PCIE slots free.

Dzzope August 22, 2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 650215)
The D1 is essentially the DX without the PCI-E bridge chip, you would in theory get better sound out of the D1.

This answers a question I've been waiting for.. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 650215)
If the DAC and audio processor are the only things that matter, I would go for the D1.

What do you mean? What features are missing from the D1 that the DX have?

Basically I'm got a set of Tritton HDA 510's and want something decent to drive them.. I am also thinking of possibly getting a semi-decent set of cans in the future.

I guess all I need is good quality and a decent interface with Graphic EQ (as I'll have proper 5.1 and good cans)?

lkramer August 22, 2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 650297)
What do you mean? What features are missing from the D1 that the DX have?

Some sound cards, such as the Xonar DG or Xonar Essence ST, have a built-in headphone amp in addition to the DAC and audio processor. But if you have an external headphone amp then you do not need a headphone amp on the sound card. You would then only need the DAC and audio processor.

A headphone amp is use to drive high-impedance headphones such as mine.

The only difference between the D1 and DX is the interface, the D1 is PCI and the DX is PCIE.

Dzzope August 22, 2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkramer (Post 650335)

The only difference between the D1 and DX is the interface, the D1 is PCI and the DX is PCIE.

Cool, cheers, sorry for Hijacking the thread..

lkramer August 22, 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 650339)
Cool, cheers, sorry for Hijacking the thread..

No problem. I do not consider your post hijacking as your questions were relevant to this thread's topic.

Larry.

yohohobo August 23, 2012 09:28 AM

I had a DG at one point. I remember getting it since it was the better bang for the buck at $25. I didn't have the need for the 7.1 and other frills the DX had to offer.

Sagath August 23, 2012 10:08 AM

Does the D1 require a floppy power connector like the DX? Id rather use legacy PCI then PCIe if thats the case...Makes my case ugly.

Edit: Nevermind, the intel Retail Edge store had a DX up on points. For the price of FREE with free shipping, I'll deal with the floppy connector :haha: