Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Sound Options for Xbox 360 audio in (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/56201-sound-options-xbox-360-audio.html)

Arinoth August 20, 2012 05:38 AM

Sound Options for Xbox 360 audio in

Seeing as the school year is going to be starting, meaning I'll have more time at home (while the fiancee is working) I'm going to need to occupy myself at home more often then not. I am going to let our swtor subscription expire at the end of the month (since we'll be playing Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2) as I've known from the past that mmo + school = not the best idea.

With that in mind I was thinking of bringing my xbox 360 to my desk and play some of my xbox and xbox 360 games while at my PC. (I want to play through say the Halo or Gears of War Trilogies)

To do this I have a couple of options to choose from, all of which that involved my PC playing back the audio from the 360 either via the optical out or HDMI. The MONITOR on the end will have an HDMI to DVI cable and will only be handling the video "playback"

Option 1)
Sound card with an optical or HDMI in

a) Optical In Sound card
Looking for an option that is not creative, have had quite a few issues with their drivers in the past (especially when a new version of windows comes out)

b) HDMI
AuzenTech X-Fi HomeTheater HD 7.1 Sound Card at Memory Express
This gives me several options however I have no idea if it'll just pass through the signal so that I don't get any noticable lag. I know 10+ years ago on my xbox playing it through my 9800 AIW card I had some noticable lag between my actions and what appeared on the screen ( about .5 to .75 seconds).
A tad more expensive option around 180$

Option 2)

c) Motherboard with optical in
ASUS Maximus V Formula ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 3PCI-E16 SATA3 DP HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - DirectCanada
Going this route would essentially involve me selling my current motherboard (ga-z68x-ud4-b3) and purchasing this one to replace it.
This option I'm assuming is a net difference of about 200-250$ cost and the least likely to be taken.

Looking forward to hear any advice/feedback on any of these options people have chosen themselves.

Ravenor August 20, 2012 09:53 AM

Ok I changed my sound card for different reasons but I did go through the same type of options that you looked at so I will give you my advice.

Back in March of this year, I had been using a Creative X-Fi Music since 2006 when I originally bought it. No the problem that I had is a well know problem where using and SSD with Windows 7(any version) will cause a problem at startup where the audio kicks out and the only way to get it back is to un-install the drivers and re-install them only to have the same problem happen again. There is a 41 page forum posting about many people complaining about the problem.

So my solution was to grab an Auzentech Forte 7.1 and try that and it worked great.....for 3 days till the same problem happened again( they still use the same drivers from Creative, they just make them a bit prettier). So I took that card back and got a refund. Now I was left trying to find something onboard that sounded close to a soundcard. This prompted me to upgrade my system from a AMD 1090T with a Asus Sabertooth 990FX to my current system which is an Intel 2700k(got it cheap) and the Asus Maximus V Gene. The sound is much better and very very close if almost undecernable from a discreet soundcard.

In my opinion I think you should go for the Asus Maximus V Formula board and save yourself the troubles I went through.

Dzzope August 20, 2012 10:18 AM

Save your money and bring your TV to the desk :P

Arinoth August 20, 2012 11:15 AM

I have literally no space on my desk for it (with 3 monitors there)

Ravenor August 20, 2012 02:55 PM

I still think replacing you motherboard is the way to go..and you can sell you old one. Or rebuild it into another system.

Arinoth August 20, 2012 03:01 PM

Yeah, it's unfortunately the most expensive route and the most hardware moving around route right now.

MacJunky August 20, 2012 03:54 PM

When my xbox is not RRODed, I use one of these:
AverMedia AverTV HD DVR PCI-E Video Capture HDMI S-Video Digital Recording - AVERMEDIA - MTVHDDVRR
I also use it for VHS tapes.

It does not do 1080p though, just 720P and 1080i but I am not bothered by that. I should also say that I have not noticed any lag with this card.

Also looks like avermedia have a couple other cards out that say 1080p but I do not know anything about them.

Arinoth August 20, 2012 04:12 PM

I honestly had not thought of that, that would be a rather good alternative too. I'll look into it when I have the time.