Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Sound Card and Headset Advice

Hello HWC!

My name is Stuart and I'm looking into purchasing a SoundCard and Headset for gaming. I would like to keep some money in my pocket, so I have a budget of about $150 - $250. I am not an "audiophile", but I appreciate good audio quality none the less. I am not sure if I want stereo or surround, so I would appreciate both types in your replies. For the soundcard, I am limited to PCI, NOT PCIe, because all of my PCIe slots are being used. I need a mic on the headset, I know that that is the definition *jokes, because I am using a BlackWidow Ultimate, and don't need my friends to hear that noise on Skype, TS, or whatever I'm using. I like a closed ear headset and that is REQUIRED. I have been using TurtleBeach X41's (XBox n00b, I know) and have been satisfied, but not thrilled by them. From the research I am doing, I am liking the SteelSeries Siberia V2's, but that opinion could easily be swayed.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart.
Old August 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On the surround sound I was looking foir similar and am getting the Tritton HDA 510
(already bought these but as I'm away from home my GF tested it on her pc on skype and the mic is GOOD)

and an Asus DX card (still researching the card) There is a pci option..
Old August 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Do the HDA 510's have a sound muting microphone? If it does that would be nice. The sound card was hard for me to find on Amazon and Newegg, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I found a PCIe version, but not a PCI version. The headset looks nice! Did your girlfriend comment on the audio quality of the headset, or was she using on-board audio? Thanks
Old August 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ASUS - Sound & Multimedia Devices

I think it is noise cancelling mic.. she sounded clear and I could only barely hear the TV in the background where with her other it was a lil staticy and could hear the tv very clearly..
I'll get her to test again and see.. as for the audio quality.. she's not the best person to ask.. was using laptop and could only check if there were 2 channels working at a time
(wanted to make sure there was no 'buzz' or bad vibration sounds that you get with low quality or buggered speakers at certain frequencies.)

From what I've read / been told they are pretty good on the quality side BUT.. thats for 5.1.. they are no audiophile headset.. I MIGHT look at getting a nice mid range set of cans for music depending on how these perform.. but don't expect the same profile from these (for games and movies really) to be great for music too.

Likewise something thats going to be great for music may not be up to par for games..
Old August 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm debating a decent 5.1 headset or a nice stereo headset, I'm just not sure. :/
Old August 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It depends on what do you use it for - If it's gaming then get a decent 5.1, if music is the main concern, you'll want a higher quality stereo one.
And regardless, a really good stereo headset (Sennheiser's PC360 in my case) will be almost as good as a 5.1 in gaming (while being fantastic in music).
Old August 20, 2012, 04:59 AM
Allstar

I have the PC360s they are fine in games.... most of the true(non software) 5.1 headsets I found to be cheaper build quality. or at least what I could get my hands on. Their spec states you don't need a sound card with a headphone amp.... I will suggest you get one, they are weak otherwise. I personally like the asus Xonar Essence STX, I have seen another cheaper gamer oriented card has come out from asus. If its cheaper and still has a headphone amp it might be worth a look.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If I do go with the PC360s am I going to need a super nice sound card, or do they not require a ridiculous amount of power, and will the audio benefit a ton with a $50 sound card or should I go with a cheaper headset and a more expensive sound card? Keep in mind that I am not an audiophile.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PC 360's are open ear FYI. The PC350's are closed, but they're an entirely different story in terms of how they sound. There is the option of "Hero Modding" them, but it voids your warranty.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
There is the option of "Hero Modding" them, but it voids your warranty.
Hero modding the 350s or the 360s?