Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   new headset/cans time.. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/55755-new-headset-cans-time.html)

Dzzope July 28, 2012 05:20 PM

new headset/cans time..

As the title says, time for a new headset...

Currently have corsair HS1's and have previously had Sennheiser..

Looking around the $100 mark as I need to get a soundcard too..
(could push to 150 or more if it's REALLY justified, ie ticks every single box for sound quality, mic quality, comfort, build quality etc)

So.. my question.. what the hell do I buy?

Ideally... they will have really good sound for music but also great directional for games..
Looking for the best of an all-rounder.. Doesn't need to have a mic but would be a big bonus if it did
(and is good quality.. hate cheap mic's which is why I'm replacing the HS1's.. finally had enough.)

So.. cans or headset.. stereo or 5.1.. I'm open to all options.. But I REALLY want the best for my money..

The HS1's are brilliant for 3 things... comfort, usb sound (I find it handy), build quality..
bad for.. sound quality.. not bad.. just not very good. the mic.. is atrocious.. They are a lil heavy

You know I'm no audiophile, however I can hear good quality from bad and the HS1's were good enough but not brilliant (knew they were going to be anyway cos of USB sound) and not worth the $100 I paid for them

So far I've looked at Roccat kave, various Sennheiser and Koss, bose and the new vengence corsair 1300's.. am open to all brands and points.. kaves are currently leading the way.
list of available stuff can be found here:
Rozetka.com.ua
It is in Ukrainian/ Russian so chrome or some kind of translation may be needed to navigate properly.

Second point.. looking for a mid range sound-card.. needs to be able to drive whatever headset/cans I get and also my 2.0 speakers (preferably separately.. ie sound out of one and not the other.)
Was thinking of the Xonar DX.. comments?

I don't really have allot of money to throw around on this.. so I would like these to do me till my next big computer upgrade at least (3 years minimum) hence the long ass post..

P.S. what mic if cans are suggested?

Dzzope July 29, 2012 08:49 PM

Thought I would add that I'm going home for october so UK etailers are an option too..

scan.co.uk
ebuyer.com
overclockers.co.uk

These would probably be the best for selection / price in computer hardware but not really that well up on my audio stuff..

Bean Counter July 30, 2012 05:35 AM

..i would recommend the Tritton 510 HDA. they're $99.99 at NCIX. I also have the Roccat Kave's but find the Tritton's much more comfortable....especially for a marathon gaming session. i find that for FPS which i play 80% of the time, the positional and surround sound is spot on. Good sound for music and movies.
Xonar DX is an excellent card for 5.1 analog surround.

Dzzope July 30, 2012 12:20 PM

As said above.. UK prices.. these are £90 ($180) in the UK so I will be skipping them..
That said I was looking at GameShark® Store - TRITTON - Tritton Headsets
Now these MAY be an option if:
1) I can find them a bit cheaper
2) The optical out on my mobo, an Asus P6X58D-E, gives the quality I'm looking for without a sound-card? or does it still rely on the on-board sound?

Also I've heard of the plastic in the headband splitting very easily..

I really hate being ripped off for price so the kaves are looking good.. Though I've seen allot with dead mics or a faulty speaker etc.. also apparently they are very heavy..
(granted any 5.1 headset is going to be.. but thought I would ask)

Can anyone suggest some good cans that I could consider?
Granted they won't have the directional that I'm looking for but if the sound quality is high enough then it's not really a big deal

Bean Counter July 30, 2012 03:43 PM

the Tritton Ax Pro's you're looking at are both digital and analog. The Tritton HDA's are analog only. I find mine very sturdy yet very comfortable. i have a smaller head and with the Roccat's I find they pinch my ears. I have others...which are out of your price range...Razar Tiamat's 7.1's ....but I still think the tritton's are the most comfortable.....for me. Several of my buddies have them and no one has had a problem with the headband splitting.

Dzzope July 30, 2012 04:01 PM

This is the same item?
Tritton PC51u

Dzzope July 31, 2012 12:25 AM

So I've JUST realized that a colleague of mine is in Boston for the week..

Whats a good store to buy from that will deliver before he leaves on Saturday?
(Or locations of store he can walk into)
Is there price-matching and how does it work?
Really need a few quick replies on this guys..

and I need more opinions and options... Roccat Kave vs Tritton 510 HDA vs some cans in sameish price range..

And xonar dx good for these to be driven from?
How easy is it to also set-up 2.0 speakers at the same time
(I can turn off whichever I'm not using but would like standard stereo from the speakers at same time as 5.1 from headset if I go for them.)

Slik July 31, 2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 645531)
This is the same item?
Tritton PC51u

They are the same. You won't find anything better in that price range,and yes the DX will do just fine with those headphones.

Dzzope July 31, 2012 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input both.. Got the Trittons ordered.. but had to pay $47 for express shipping.. :O

If I had been 1 day earlier in realizing the mate was in the states then I could have saved that.. but they are still cheaper than getting them here (even second-hand in many cases)

Gotta say it really sucks.. I can get standard delivery from UK to Ireland in 2 -3 days for $10.. granted it's probable that it's much larger distance but it still sucks..

Can get the xonar DX here for cheaper (had to buy from bestbuy) so I'll be ordering that when i get confirmation that he got them..

Again cheers for the input..

Last question... is it possible with the xonar DX (or any soundcard that is sub $100) to separate the channels?
What I'm looking to do is have the 5.1 headset AND a 2.0 speaker system connected at the same time..
have the speakers receiving stereo of everything the headset gets.. or better a totally separate selection (like a separate audio device)..

I don't want to have to go around my desk every time I want to switch them and would rather run the speakers from the new soundcard than the on-board as
I think they are of sufficient quality to see some benefit.

Any ideas?
Can the xonar DX do this.. if not is there another card that can?

Slik August 1, 2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 645730)
Thanks for the input both.. Got the Trittons ordered.. but had to pay $47 for express shipping.. :O

If I had been 1 day earlier in realizing the mate was in the states then I could have saved that.. but they are still cheaper than getting them here (even second-hand in many cases)

Gotta say it really sucks.. I can get standard delivery from UK to Ireland in 2 -3 days for $10.. granted it's probable that it's much larger distance but it still sucks..

Can get the xonar DX here for cheaper (had to buy from bestbuy) so I'll be ordering that when i get confirmation that he got them..

Again cheers for the input..

Last question... is it possible with the xonar DX (or any soundcard that is sub $100) to separate the channels?
What I'm looking to do is have the 5.1 headset AND a 2.0 speaker system connected at the same time..
have the speakers receiving stereo of everything the headset gets.. or better a totally separate selection (like a separate audio device)..

I don't want to have to go around my desk every time I want to switch them and would rather run the speakers from the new soundcard than the on-board as
I think they are of sufficient quality to see some benefit.

Any ideas?
Can the xonar DX do this.. if not is there another card that can?

Splitter adapters are available for allowing desk top speaker and headphone connection at the same time. You can google to find what's available in your area. I would post a link for you,but every time I try it,it won't post. Good luck!