Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, so you jumped right into high end planar magnetics for gaming??? Are you sure you're not trolling?

A sound card is essentially a DAC, so you'll either be using the Phoebus or the Fiio. I doubt the Phoebus will be able to bring out the HE-400's potential though.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I kid you not. I chose the HE400 for gaming but also music, and I was torn between HE400 and ultrasone 900 pro or Denon D5000. Do you think it was a good choice? I don't love that it is open ear, but am trusting its expected high performance.

Do you think it would be better to sell off the phoebus, or should I keep it with the e17 fiio. I could always cancel the e17 fiio, which I never really considered.. Welp!

I also need to sell my tiamats :P

PS. The HE400 order is just starting to process, and they have a great return policy if needed.
Old August 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
I kid you not. I chose the HE400 for gaming but also music, and I was torn between HE400 and ultrasone 900 pro or Denon D5000. Do you think it was a good choice? I don't love that it is open ear, but am trusting its expected high performance.

Do you think it would be better to sell off the phoebus, or should I keep it with the e17 fiio. I could always cancel the e17 fiio, which I never really considered.. Welp!

I also need to sell my tiamats :P

PS. The HE400 order is just starting to process, and they have a great return policy if needed.
Why do you want to sell the Tiamat's? I think you should keep the Phoebus. I doubt you'll find much better in a sound card,and I doubt you will find a better set of gaming headphones. Music sounds great with the Tiamat's. They get even better after a proper burn in.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There should be no comparison, but what truly put me personally over the edge was the gross green led lighting on the sides of the headset, I find it very cheesy for my tastes
Old August 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
There should be no comparison, but what truly put me personally over the edge was the gross green led lighting on the sides of the headset, I find it very cheesy for my tastes
Why not use the black covers that come with them? They cover the entire speaker and led window. I agree that the Tiamat's don't really compare to a set of $400 stereo headphones for music,but they come damn close and are untouchable when it comes to gaming. My opinion of course. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Let us know. And maybe let us know why you end up with whatever it is you end up with. Did I say that right?lol.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Why not use the black covers that come with them? They cover the entire speaker and led window. I agree that the Tiamat's don't really compare to a set of $400 stereo headphones for music,but they come damn close and are untouchable when it comes to gaming. My opinion of course. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Let us know. And maybe let us know why you end up with whatever it is you end up with. Did I say that right?lol.
The covers don't cover the LED window, in fact that makes the covers down right pointless in my opinion.

Are you sure you've tried putting the covers on your headset?
Old August 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol driving HE400s with Alpen..

not sure if..

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 17, 2012, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
lol driving HE400s with Alpen..

not sure if..
What's wrong with that? I was recommended to get the e17 its good for budget amp. I can always use the phoebus when im at home, and if I ever need to be away from the computer I can use the fiio, no? Are you saying you'd recommend a better portable amp?

Last edited by RM - Ottawa; August 17, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The covers don't cover the LED window, in fact that makes the covers down right pointless in my opinion.

Are you sure you've tried putting the covers on your headset?
You're right. I don't use them,but they looked like it would cover the LED. You could always cover the LED with a bit of black tape.lol. I can't see how the LED's should be a problem since it's impossible to see them when you have the headphones on your head. One thing for sure,the LED's have no impact on the quality etc. of sound. Too bad they bother you that much. The Tiamat's are a great set of gaming headphones.
Old February 22, 2014, 03:17 AM
Trial Member

Great review first off.. Must day I love this sound card, now i am researching how people mod theirs. I currently run a set of DT880 edition 600 ohm cans on her or just a set of Logitech z5500 for normal usage when i dont have the headphones on. Did you mod your card AKG?