Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 09:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Q, How important is be able to change the opamps for the Phoebus? I understand that it is not possible with this card. Also, would this make essence stx more viable? Thanks,
Old August 6, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
Q, How important is be able to change the opamps for the Phoebus? I understand that it is not possible with this card. Also, would this make essence stx more viable? Thanks,
For the average consumer? it's not a problem

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 7, 2012, 04:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For joe the consumer who doesnt really know what sound signature they want/need/desire....it doesnt matter.

Basically, the easiest/ quick n dirty way to think of the Essence STX is as Asus' "audiophile" sound card, whereas the Phoebus is their "hardcore gamer" soundcard. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay thanks, I think I'll stick with the Phoebus :). Also, The Tiamat's are starting to burn in and I think they're doing a good job so far.

Do you think getting a pair of Denon AHD2000's for music would be a wise choice? I understand they are good for bass sounds, but also do a good job in the other areas. They are around $369.99 on amazon: Amazon.com: Denon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones: Electronics. Would I expect a more powerful sound from then on my phoebus, then with the Tiamat's? I'm wondering what your guys' take is on this model :)
Old August 7, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes those are good cans, but not for that much. Probably worth about 180 IIRC

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 8, 2012, 03:29 AM
Rookie

It's interesting to compare Roccat Kave vs Tiamat 7.1(may be other, i need the best) on Phoebus and X-FI Titanium.
Can't find such reviews.
I wish to select the best pair for gaming : analog headphone 5.1(7.1) + soundcard.

How well Phoebus supports EAX in old games?
As example:

Mass Effect
BioShock
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Quake 4

I know that X-FI Titanium (usual Titanium, not the Titanium HD - it hasn't enough output lines for 5.1 haeadphone) works very well with that games.

Last edited by Breslavets; August 8, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old August 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breslavets View Post
It's interesting to compare Roccat Kave vs Tiamat 7.1(may be other, i need the best) on Phoebus and X-FI Titanium.
Can't find such reviews.
I wish to select the best pair for gaming : analog headphone 5.1(7.1) + soundcard.

How well Phoebus supports EAX in old games?
As example:

Mass Effect
BioShock
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Quake 4

I know that X-FI Titanium (usual Titanium, not the Titanium HD - it hasn't enough output lines for 5.1 haeadphone) works very well with that games.
There is a difference between the Kave's and Tiamat. Obviously the Tiamat's are 7.1 analog as opposed to the Kave's at 5.1,but even though there are few games in 7.1,the Tiamat's give you great 5.1 as well. For the price,the Roccat Kave's will do you well. Of all the 5.1 analog headphones available in the $100 range,you won't find better. The Kave's were a bit too uncomfortable for me as they pinched my ears and felt tight on my head after a bit of time while gaming. My wife also tried the Kave's,and she too found them uncomfortable. She ended up preffering the Tritton HDa's. The Tritton are also very good 5.1 analog cans,and could be had for about the same price as the Kave's. They are a very comfortable set. I have a set of Psyko 5.1's, and until the Tiamats showed up there was nothing that could come close to excellent positional sound from a set of headphones. The Tiamat's have proven to be equally as good,and with the added features with the Tiamat's,even better than Psyko. Believe me,I had a hard time finding a set of gaming headphones in 5.1 that could beat Psyko. A lot of members here thought I was a Psyko rep, given how highly I spoke of them. If you can afford the Tiamat's,grab em. They sound great with music,movies etc. The Phoebus sound card is a true gamers card. It has it's own EAX emulation that, in my opinion,is better than EAX itself. It's expensive. At $180,you won't get much better sound than the X-FI Titanium Fatality or Auzentech Forte if you are going to use 5.1 analog headphones. Your Titanium [non HD] should have 5.1 analog outputs. What's the exact model? If you are going to step out and buy the best available today,get the Tiamat headphones and pair it up with the Phoebus sound card. You will be more than ready for any game they throw at you. Good luck! One more thing. This is my opinion only. I'm not an audio pro or reviewer. I just know what I want to hear when gaming.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Rookie

Slik, many thanks for your detail answer.
I tried to buy Psyko Carbon, but it in backordered status at their site.
I ordered Tiamat 7.1 and X-FI Titanium Fatality and I believe later will try Phoebus sound card.
Old August 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breslavets View Post
Slik, many thanks for your detail answer.
I tried to buy Psyko Carbon, but it in backordered status at their site.
I ordered Tiamat 7.1 and X-FI Titanium Fatality and I believe later will try Phoebus sound card.
Let us know how it soumds when you get it hooked up. Have fun.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5

Last edited by SugarJ; August 11, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just ordered some Hifiman HE-400 headphones with a fiio e17 amp/dac. Does this work with my phoebus sound card, or is it completley redundant? Also, the HE400's clearly aren't 7.1 like my Tiamat's, so will I still get full use out of the phoebus?

Just wanted to know what I'm getting into :)