Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ilya...damn mate you just blew his budget out of the water. I pushed the envelope with the Ultrasones....but AKG 701s...ouch. Good cans....but ouch. His wallet will HATE him. AND they are twice the price of most of what I was saying to START with.

@RM
Try em out and see if you like them. IF you like them...keep em. Just 'cause they are only half the price of the AkGs doesnt mean that for your GAMING needs they wont be good. For audio yeah 7.1 suck compared to good stereo cans that cost the same.

IF you dont like them. For the love of all that is holy...go and try out a bunch of different cans before you buy! Every mfg has their own 'flavour' they like. I personally like Sennys for day to day. AkGs for listening to music (cant you tell by my sig :P) and Beyers for other genres. I personally like the 860s. I know Jackie was salavating over a pair of 600 ohm 860s...and cant blame him.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 4, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I love you guys <3, as always thanks for the feedback! I am going to unbox the Tiamat and Phoebus now and later if I want a stereo headset I will definitely go try some out and start a discussion on stereo when I get into that.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Ilya...damn mate you just blew his budget out of the water. I pushed the envelope with the Ultrasones....but AKG 701s...ouch. Good cans....but ouch. His wallet will HATE him. AND they are twice the price of most of what I was saying to START with.
They're often around $250 south of the border and up here prices on sale have seen the $300 mark. It didn't really seem like an out of budget option to me TBH.

Never bought from these guys myself, but it seems they use the UPS service that includes taxes/duty:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...c=2&zmap=36162
Old August 4, 2012, 03:19 PM

Damn thats a FINE price on the 701s!....great.... now you got ME tempted on another set of cans. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 4, 2012, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
I love you guys <3, as always thanks for the feedback! I am going to unbox the Tiamat and Phoebus now and later if I want a stereo headset I will definitely go try some out and start a discussion on stereo when I get into that.
Let us know how you like,or dislike the Tiamat's and Phoebus. Don't forget,the headphones will sound even better after a burn in.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 4, 2012, 04:34 PM

Yeah 10 hours min of white noise (or better yet a combo of dif noises...you can get audio samples on wikipedia and set it to loop) ;)

Old August 4, 2012, 08:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
They're often around $250 south of the border and up here prices on sale have seen the $300 mark. It didn't really seem like an out of budget option to me TBH.

Never bought from these guys myself, but it seems they use the UPS service that includes taxes/duty:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...c=2&zmap=36162
Is that a registered AKG retailer? I can't seem to find then listed on AKG's site. I've been looking for a set of Quincy's and that's the lowest I've seen them.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Is that a registered AKG retailer? I can't seem to find then listed on AKG's site. I've been looking for a set of Quincy's and that's the lowest I've seen them.
I often have no clue when it comes to AKG, out of all the high end audio manufacturers they are by far the worst when it comes to authorized dealer info.

If you can order from Amazon US, they have the Quincy's even cheaper and quite often. Otherwise they sometimes hit the $300 mark up here in Canada.
Old August 5, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AKG K550 - Headphone Bar

superior AKG is superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I personally like the 860s. I know Jackie was salavating over a pair of 600 ohm 860s...and cant blame him.
Haz nao, not water damaged yet..

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 5, 2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
AKG K550 - Headphone Bar

superior AKG is superior

Haz nao, not water damaged yet..
Yeah that is right. It was the 880 MANUFAKTUR's not the 860 (actually I dont think they make a 860 MANUFAKTUR edition). :P

Still think I personally would go with the 7's over the 5's....but I prefer open to closed. But for gaming in a noisy enviro (and bass)...the 5s would be hard to beat in that range. :)