Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2012, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Sorry, Jaquelegs, I don't quite follow. What's the issue with the headphone jack that doesn't affect the line out?
The headphone out on the itouch (and all i devices) lacks the power to drive a lot of high end/non portable headphones. A line out cable/dock will bypass that, but you'll be listening straight through the DAC with no volume control. It's normally used to connect to an external headphone amp. TBH you won't need one unless you plan on using harder to drive headphones with your itouch.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The headphone out on the itouch (and all i devices) lacks the power to drive a lot of high end/non portable headphones. A line out cable/dock will bypass that, but you'll be listening straight through the DAC with no volume control. It's normally used to connect to an external headphone amp. TBH you won't need one unless you plan on using harder to drive headphones with your itouch.
Oh, I getcha now. I typically listen either with a dock (so, amped itself), or with in-ear earbuds (creative EP-45, IIRC), so I don't think I'll have an issue; they're lovely sounding earbuds, but they don't need too much power to drive them.

Thanks for the heads-up, though!
Old July 31, 2012, 10:11 AM
Allstar

Let's see ... third party eq, third party music stores, line out or dock to avoid ehadphoen issues ... why not just get a Cowan? The sound is a lot better and they're much cheaper.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Let's see ... third party eq, third party music stores, line out or dock to avoid ehadphoen issues ... why not just get a Cowan? The sound is a lot better and they're much cheaper.
I thought about just getting a C2 (basically the same as the old D2, oddly enough), but the problem I had was the idea of paying the same money that I did for my D2, 5-6 years later, with no noticeable increase in functionality. Who would accept that in the computer/electronics world?

That led me to look at the S9, which I always thought was quite nice, but it's discontinued in Canada, as well, from what I gather, so I'd have to pick up one from the U.S. It would actually come out way more than an iTouch, unless I went used--and then it would only be a little bit more, but I have the same crapshoot of a used product with no warranty.

The only other option was the new Cowon lineup (I don't even recall the model ATM), but the reviews say it's junk compared to the older stuff.

I love my Cowon, and I support their quality, but I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, and I can't support that.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thought I'd update with a few early thoughts on the switch from my Cowon D2 (on which the switch barely functions at all now--sigh) to an 8GB iPod Touch.

As expected, for someone used to a Cowon and regularly adjusting their immensely useful EQ, the sound is somewhat tinny and not nearly as rich as on the Cowon. Playing with the EQ on the Touch helps, but isn't nearly as effective as the Cowon one. I have yet to try a 3rd party EQ app.

Getting used to the idea of playlists is also taking some getting used to, and I hate the fact that I have to delete both the playlist and then the music from the iPod. HOWEVER, I must admit that it makes damned good sense to be to use a series of pointers (playlists) to a centralized music folder than it does to have multiple copies of the same file on a player, so that music can be played in the desired order.

The display isn't even a comparison; the Cowon's older style screen (resistive vs the other kind--I don't recall exactly) can't hold a candle to the iPod's display. It really is remarkable.

On that general subject, video on the iPod is considerably easier; the Cowon required everything to be converted to one very specific size and format for playback. With the iPod, I can just add things. Not having MPG support seems a little ridiculous, though. I get it, MP4 is more efficient, but how I use my storage space is my problem, not Apple's.

Having a built-in speaker is actually way more handy than expected.

Proprietary cords suck. I liked the Cowon's ability to use a standard USB device cable. However, one of the things that turned me off of the newer Cowon is the fact that they've gone to a different standard cord as well (a Korean standard that makes no sense for N.A. sales).

That's more or less it so far. I'm back to work this week, so the Touch wills start getting a lot more use on my commutes; we'll see how I feel in a week, I guess.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.