Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2012, 12:21 AM
Rookie

Default Best headset?

Well i'm considering buying a new headset...
i really can not decide what to take
Razer megalodon VS Tritton ax 720

They both really great and the ax is cheaper and i dont know if its 7.1 or 5.1 but i saw that its true 5.1

so what should i take?
Old July 15, 2012, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Tritton AX 720's are digital surround and used with XBox etc. If you're going to use headphones with your PC and you want a true 5.1 surround,you should look at analog 5.1 headphones. The Tritton 510 HDa's are 5.1 analog and sell for about $90. You may want to consider the Roccat Kave's. They too are 5.1 analog and in my opinion,provide a better surround sound when gaming. The Kave's sell for about $100 TO $120. I have a set of Psyko Carbon's that are designed for gaming only. They sell for $199 and are a bit expensive for a set of headphones that are primarily for gaming. The Razer Tiamat's are a new design that outputs 5.1 and 7.1 analog. At $180,this set is great for gaming,music and movies. I have a set of Tiamat's and I can tell you that they shine when gaming. I have always looked for a set of analog surround headphones that could beat Psyko,and the Tiamat's are as close as you will ever get. I don't know what your budget is,but if you game on a PC,and enjoy listening to music etc. get the Tiamat's. If you are looking in the $100 range,I would say go with the Tritton 510 hdA or Roccat Kave,with a slight edge to Tritton. Trust me,when it comes to gaming headphones,I know of what I speak.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 15, 2012, 06:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you are a cheapo like me then the two best options are steelseries and plantronics, very good for there price range. If money is not a worry tritton/roccat/new razer is where it's at right now.
Old July 15, 2012, 08:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
The Tritton AX 720's are digital surround and used with XBox etc. If you're going to use headphones with your PC and you want a true 5.1 surround,you should look at analog 5.1 headphones. The Tritton 510 HDa's are 5.1 analog and sell for about $90. You may want to consider the Roccat Kave's. They too are 5.1 analog and in my opinion,provide a better surround sound when gaming. The Kave's sell for about $100 TO $120. I have a set of Psyko Carbon's that are designed for gaming only. They sell for $199 and are a bit expensive for a set of headphones that are primarily for gaming. The Razer Tiamat's are a new design that outputs 5.1 and 7.1 analog. At $180,this set is great for gaming,music and movies. I have a set of Tiamat's and I can tell you that they shine when gaming. I have always looked for a set of analog surround headphones that could beat Psyko,and the Tiamat's are as close as you will ever get. I don't know what your budget is,but if you game on a PC,and enjoy listening to music etc. get the Tiamat's. If you are looking in the $100 range,I would say go with the Tritton 510 hdA or Roccat Kave,with a slight edge to Tritton. Trust me,when it comes to gaming headphones,I know of what I speak.
Hey,Thanks for ther reply and the detailed description
My budget is like 200$ something like that and well i tried to look for Razer Tiamat but it seems that there is no store that ships to my country+accepts paypal...
But i have a question:Does the True surround really making a big difference?and 5.1 true is better than 7.1 digital?And now i'm probably going to need a sound card....
I'll consider to buy the psyko..their design looks really neat
Edit:The psyko is not available to my country...
Well..I need the best true surround headphones (except tiamat) NOT OVER 200$

Last edited by Spade; July 15, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What country are you in? It would be more helpful if we knew what you have as a sound card in your PC right now. Also.what your primary use of the headphones will be. A decent sound card should be considered before you decide on the type of headphones you want. No sense spending $200 on headphones if your sound card isn't up to the task. I suggest a sound card rather than USB,as 5.1 analog is really the only true surround sound. USB is a digital surround.and while it may be O.K. for some,analog is going to give you a much more defined sound. The Tritton 510 hDA and Roccat Kave are both 5.1 analog and provide a "true" surround at a very good price. To get the best out of either set,a decent sound card is a must. Understand that I am not an audio tech or expert. I provide my opinion only,based on how headphones etc. sound, period. Are the Tritton and Roccat's available in your country? You'll be happy with either set I'm sure. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
What country are you in? It would be more helpful if we knew what you have as a sound card in your PC right now. Also.what your primary use of the headphones will be. A decent sound card should be considered before you decide on the type of headphones you want. No sense spending $200 on headphones if your sound card isn't up to the task. I suggest a sound card rather than USB,as 5.1 analog is really the only true surround sound. USB is a digital surround.and while it may be O.K. for some,analog is going to give you a much more defined sound. The Tritton 510 hDA and Roccat Kave are both 5.1 analog and provide a "true" surround at a very good price. To get the best out of either set,a decent sound card is a must. Understand that I am not an audio tech or expert. I provide my opinion only,based on how headphones etc. sound, period. Are the Tritton and Roccat's available in your country? You'll be happy with either set I'm sure. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck!
Well i think that i will buy Creative Audigy SE i heard this card is fit for this job + he's 7.1

My use of the headset is primaraly FPS games and a little bit music

i'm thinking to get the AX pro tritton..and both of the headset are available in my country (from ebay)

so i will compare AX pro to 510 hDA
Old July 16, 2012, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well i think that i will buy Creative Audigy SE i heard this card is fit for this job + he's 7.1

My use of the headset is primaraly FPS games and a little bit music

i'm thinking to get the AX pro tritton..and both of the headset are available in my country (from ebay)

so i will compare AX pro to 510 hDA
The Tritton AX Pro's will give you digital AND analog. You can use it's USB sound card,or hook it up in 5.1 analog that plugs directly into your sound card. If you're looking for 7.1 analog headphones,your only choice right now is Razer Tiamat. That said,there are very few 7.1 games available as the majority are 5.1. The AX Pro's are a good choice for 5.1 analog surround. They sell for about the same price as Tiamat. If I were you though,I would go with the Tritton 510 hDA. They sound every bit as good as the AX Pro's,simple to set up and very good for gaming. The price is right too. Let us know your choice and what you think when you get them. Good luck.
Old July 16, 2012, 06:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
The Tritton AX Pro's will give you digital AND analog. You can use it's USB sound card,or hook it up in 5.1 analog that plugs directly into your sound card. If you're looking for 7.1 analog headphones,your only choice right now is Razer Tiamat. That said,there are very few 7.1 games available as the majority are 5.1. The AX Pro's are a good choice for 5.1 analog surround. They sell for about the same price as Tiamat. If I were you though,I would go with the Tritton 510 hDA. They sound every bit as good as the AX Pro's,simple to set up and very good for gaming. The price is right too. Let us know your choice and what you think when you get them. Good luck.
I saw a review on both of them on the same vid and the guy told that the sound quality is pretty the same but the price is different because they can connect to xbox also
Old July 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I saw a review on both of them on the same vid and the guy told that the sound quality is pretty the same but the price is different because they can connect to xbox also
That's pretty much what I've been telling you. Now all you have to do is decide on which set. Remember,for a true 5.1 surround,you want analog. If you are going to use them with Xbox etc,the AX Pro's are the ones you want. Best of both worlds really.