Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2012, 04:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default New Sound card and Speakers Advice please

Well it seems the company I'm suppose to send my receiver to to get repaired doesn't seem to be responding to me to verify I have a work order to get it repaired.

I've since listed it and my speakers on kijiji and have been getting some bites so it's more or less out the door.

What I'm looking to do now is go with two separate sound systems. I already have a sound bar for my TV, so I don't need to worry about that. The second system is where your advice comes in.

I'm looking for a fairly good to high quality sound 5.1 surround sound system specifically for the PC. That means dedicated sound card and some fairly good speakers. Since I'm no audiophile and the last set of speakers I had were about 4+ years ago (Logitech X-530s) I have no idea what I should be looking for.

Ideally I'd like to do the whole shebang under 300$ but I understand I have to pay a premium for quality sound.
Old July 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

ProMedia GMX D-5.1

or Klipsch HD 300 Compact 5.1
Old July 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The first one is no longer available, meaning it's an older model and well there's paying for things and then there is the premium of the brand name, such as Klipsch or Bose.

The 2nd Klipsch sort of need a receiver and are geared towards TVs. I'm looking for something for my pc, aka sound card in it no receiver.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is 5.1 necessary or could you be happy with a really nice 2.0 set?

Personally I like audioengine's PC solutions ie a2, a5, a5+. Mind you these might not be the kind of sound system your looking for if you are really set of surround.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd like to go surround as I've always enjoyed listening to music that way, and well in quite a few games you can get a heads up what direction someone is coming from.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh, you're speaker gamer are you?

I've always been a games through the headphones(open) while music through the speakers kind guy.

For a more digital oriented 5.1 you could look at Logitech Z906(refurbished are around ~$250), but I've always found logitech speakers to sound tinny when played loud and have short cables for the rear speakers making it a pain to find an ideal way to position them.

It is always of difficult to find the balance between getting a satisfying sound solution and not breaking the budget because as soon as you up the speaker quality you want to have a better solution to drive them and it gets expensive fast.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't stand headphones in general.

I'm a speaker gamer all the way, helps that my fiancee and I game in different rooms and well most the time when I'm gaming just myself she's sitting watching me play.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

S550 - Canada : Edifier S550 5.1 6-piece Multimedia Speaker System - Product Details

That will make everyone within a 500ft radius know what you are listening to on your PC. They are incredible. They are the ONLY current high end 5.1 PC speaker system worth the money. Otherwise, go get a cheap 5.1 home theater setup from bestbuy for $100.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
S550 - Canada : Edifier S550 5.1 6-piece Multimedia Speaker System - Product Details

That will make everyone within a 500ft radius know what you are listening to on your PC. They are incredible. They are the ONLY current high end 5.1 PC speaker system worth the money. Otherwise, go get a cheap 5.1 home theater setup from bestbuy for $100.
+ a billion.

These are amazing. i have the 2.1 version of these and they are amazing. Great quality, wood cabinets, amazing mids and decent bass control. Love them.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old July 10, 2012, 10:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm take those into consideration, any sound card advice too?