Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2012, 12:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Any difference in Realtek audio from Windows 7 audio???

So I have been having a very odd Realtek driver problem with my audio. The audio problems only happen with Realtek drivers and once they are uninstalled, problem goes away.

So my question is simple, if I just used the default windows audio driver am I losing anything? special features or loss of better sound?
Old July 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You'll lose out on the Realtek software functionality and features, which most people don't use anyways. You shouldn't be having problems though. Have you tried different versions of drivers? Have you tried the Realtek drivers on your motherboard's website? A lot of the time manufacturers repackage drivers for their products.
Old July 10, 2012, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

YukonTrooper
+1 yes use MB audio drivers

Realtek Audio Driver V6.6.4.2 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

2012.06.18 update

Last edited by KaptCrunch; July 10, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old July 10, 2012, 05:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Use the latest drivers from Realtek's site: Realtek

Never had any issue with those. Though as previously said, the Windows HD Audio driver should be adequate.
Old July 11, 2012, 02:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The issue I was having was when I turned off or restarted my PC, right before it would shutoff or power cycle on restart there would be a screech sound. Now it ONLY did this when I installed the Realtek drivers. Never does it with the Windows 7 UAA driver.

It did it on two different AMD motherboards from Asus, same issue so I figure it is something else in my system causing it because it ONLY does it with the Realtek driver installed. I had no idea what though and I don't have any spare parts to test.

So this is why I want to just use the Windows 7 UAA driver and wanted to know if I were to lose anything important like cleaner/clearer sound by not using the Realtek driver. The Internet seems to agree, Realtek drivers do not add anything really important.
Old July 11, 2012, 05:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've actually had the Realtek drivers screw up a rig of mine. It would not allow certain audio outputs to output properly, removing it and going back to Windows allowed it to work.
Old July 11, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

You lose nothing appreciable, so just stick with the drivers that work for you.