Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2012, 10:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Asus Rampage Formula IV Built in audio

Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out the built in audio on the Asus Rampage Formula IV motherboard.

It comes with two Codecs:
-Realtek HD audio Codec w/ Realtek HD Audio Manager
-Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2

Now I have both of them installed and they seem to be conflicting and I'm assuming this is because there both independent codecs trying to have control over my audio?

Obviously the best solution is to screw on board audio and get a real sound card but I don't feel this is necessary at this time...

Can someone describe the two different codecs and/or tell me which one I should use and the best way to set it up??

Thanks,
Chomie.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Uninstall both and go to ASUS website - driver download for your mobo. Download the newest driver and install it. (Realtek High Definition Audio Driver V6.0.1.6499 for Vista, Win7 32&64bit. (WHQL))

Soundblaster X-Fi is a utility and i wouldn't install it at all.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old June 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Don't use the Realtek driver. Use the X-Fi drivers. You pay for superior audio, use it and find out for yourself. You may need to disable Realtek in your bios.
I don't know anyone who would pay a premium for a MB such as yours to let that X-Fi chip go to waste.

FYI don't listen to anyone who don't use a dedicated audio card. They can't speak for the audio quality. I have a X-fi Titanium Pro Card which is the add in equivalent to Supreme III audio chip on your board and it kicks onboard Realtek to the curb.
A clan member just installed a X-fi Xtreme audio card in his rig. That card is actually far inferior to mine but still above realtek by a touch.

And the X-fi utilities are actually using the Supreme III chip, Creative will never let Realtek use their software. Realtek wouldn't be able to Run EAX and Tru Studio Pro anyhow. So Soundblaster X-Fi is more than just a Utility.

I suggest you find a site like Overclock.net who should have a Rampage Formula IV club, and chat with people who actually can clarify a lot more than someone who doesn't own the board.

***EDIT***

Want help, from users of this board go here:

[Official] ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club

Last edited by BoganMetal; June 18, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Found the fix.

Feedback on Rampage IV Formula Audio
Old June 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have something close to your setup in audio. The difference is that the Realtek is the Hardware on the board with drivers and software that have to be installed to get it to work, and the Sound Blaster X-Fi is a software add-on to expand the functionality of the realtek through software driven enhancements.

You can run with just the Realtek if you want or you can install both and get the benefits from the X-Fi software too.
Old June 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hello, I went ahead and uninstalled both the driver (realtek) and the utility (soundblaster) then reinstalled the realtek driver from the Asus support download center. The sound is fine for now but it's nothing worth mentioning and should never have been a "key" feature on the Rampage IV Formula Motherboard... I will probably end up buying an add-on sound card. Thanks for all the input!
Old June 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Allstar

YES. The best advice would be to disable the onboard and get a soundcard. You will have better sound in gaming, movies and music. There are many cards in different price ranges so you can always find a card within your budget.