Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2012, 10:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default built-in audio for motherboards

i don't do much gaming or movie-watching but i listen to music a lot.
since im not a pure audiophile and most of my music is in mp3 anyway (instead of beautiful lossless stuff), im not willing to buy a nice sexy soundcard.
im going to use built-in sound from my motherboard.
but i want the sound to be better than average.
i know some mobos have better sound.

but does the GA-Z77X-UD3H WiFi have good sound?
how about p8z77-v?
thankyaa
Old June 1, 2012, 10:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

First question would be what you're doing with the sound... headphone / speaker / amp?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 1, 2012, 10:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

it wont be anything intense.

im just going to be hooking the sound up to a creative gigaworks t40ii or something along those lines.
likely a nice 2 channel system. maybe 2.1 like a logitech z623

i just dont want it to sound bad. or make noises when there is no sound.
i currently have a bose wave hooked up to the motherboard audio of an asus p7h55 and its not crystal clear
Old June 1, 2012, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That Gigabyte board uses a VIA chip. Sonically, I don't think you'd notice any difference compared to a Realtek chip, but for on-board audio VIA software isn't as good as Realtek software.
Old June 2, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Note I'm also someone who doesn't care that much about sound, although I keep my music in lossless formats but can't tell the difference from 192 kbps coded MP3 The only motherboards that really improve over the usual Realtek sound are the "gaming" themed motherboards:

Examples:
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS Maximus V GENE
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - G1.Sniper M3 (rev. 1.0)

Both the examples I listed are mATX boards, as the ATX variants are so much more expensive that you're better off buying a sound card + a lower-end motherboard if you don't need all the features the boards provide. (see below)

A good compromise that I found was this little device, the Asus Xonar U3: http://ca.asus.com/en/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_U3/
It sounds just a bit better than my onboard sound (Intel DP67DE + Realtek), but the best thing about it is it completely eliminates any high-pitched noise that comes from my video card while gaming. It had no problem driving my SRH550DJ headphones before I gave that pair away to family members, and right now it's driving my old Altec Lansing speakers. Note the "GX" function for that device has broken drivers, so don't use the "GX" mode on that USB card unless you want to see your games crash.
Old June 3, 2012, 04:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

USB sound isn't as good as on-board these days.. Not particularly bad (unless your an audoifile) but in terms of quality, a little lower than on-board..

I've used a few usb sound cards and The siennheiser one wasn't bad but my current USB device isn't brill..
That one above looks a bit more expensive and advanced than most the ones I've tried.

Not had a problem with interference on mine though the mic has had complaints (though that could be the actual mic rather than the card.)
Old June 5, 2012, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Andyhan95,

I think those two boards you mentioned should be good enough for "your" purposes. I have a older Asus
P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 board and although it uses the Realtek controller for sound, it sounds great for music and games.

Nowadays, onboard sound on the motherboards have come a long way and it "generally" is good enough for most people.
Old June 5, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Note I'm also someone who doesn't care that much about sound, although I keep my music in lossless formats but can't tell the difference from 192 kbps coded MP3
you much not listen to music that has a particularly broad in the range of tones it uses. I used to think this too until I decided to listen to the same copy of in the hall of the mountain kind in MP3 and FLAC. until this point I had only listened to it in MP3, I heard 2 flute sections and a bass drum I had never heard before.
Old June 5, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
you much not listen to music that has a particularly broad in the range of tones it uses. I used to think this too until I decided to listen to the same copy of in the hall of the mountain kind in MP3 and FLAC. until this point I had only listened to it in MP3, I heard 2 flute sections and a bass drum I had never heard before.
This is where most people don't see the difference as they would need side-by-side comparison and possibly even particular sounds pointed out to them in order for them to notice.
I worked with a few bands as roadie.. also did some studio work and it wasn't until I was shown what to listen for that I realized the difference in quality.

That said I'm still not an audiophile but I can understand and to a point hear what they are looking for (or to avoid) to some extent..

I remember pointing out something in a song similar to what you have just said.. in 1 track or system you could hear extra detail or it was a much warmer base sound (can't really remember what it was now) but the other person couldn't tell the difference even when pointed out.

point being not everyone either has the hearing to hear the differences or the training? experience? to notice.
And would also depend on the audio devices that they were using when listening to the 2 tracks

Last edited by Dzzope; June 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old June 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
USB sound isn't as good as on-board these days.. Not particularly bad (unless your an audoifile) but in terms of quality, a little lower than on-board..

I've used a few usb sound cards and The siennheiser one wasn't bad but my current USB device isn't brill..
That one above looks a bit more expensive and advanced than most the ones I've tried.

Not had a problem with interference on mine though the mic has had complaints (though that could be the actual mic rather than the card.)
Not too sure about that one. There are tons of USB audio devices that produce some of the highest quality sound that you can have on a PC. There are some cheap, low quality examples also...but you cannot assume all USB based audio products are bad because you have owned a couple bad ones.