Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Asus Pheobus released. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/54275-asus-pheobus-released.html)

Slik May 15, 2012 07:43 AM

Asus Pheobus released.
 
Asus has just released the Rog Phoebus sound card. Needless to say,I ordered one from NCIX. Should be in my rig by Friday. I will report my findings.

ultraman7k May 15, 2012 09:20 AM

Looks wise, I really like it. Let us know how it sounds!

Slik May 15, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman7k (Post 629835)
Looks wise, I really like it. Let us know how it sounds!

It does look really nice. I no longer have a case with a side window,so how it looks doesn't matter any more. The card has been shipped,so I should have some opinions in a couple of days.

terrybear May 15, 2012 06:39 PM

Been a few reviews out on the net that you need to translate already ... Some reviewers say the headphone amp is not as strong/good as in the ST/STX model sonar's previously & this card is clearly geared towards gamers only. Other reviewers felt its actualy rather well balanced & improves upon the previously mentioned models.

ultraman7k May 15, 2012 10:28 PM

I am curious as to how it stacks up against Creative X-FI Titanium HD, though it is a cool touch that the LED changes colour on the Pheobus depending on the resistance of the headphones.

Jackquelegs May 15, 2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrybear (Post 630116)
Been a few reviews out on the net that you need to translate already ... Some reviewers say the headphone amp is not as strong/good as in the ST/STX model sonar's previously & this card is clearly geared towards gamers only. Other reviewers felt its actualy rather well balanced & improves upon the previously mentioned models.

^
It's in essence (no pun intended) an essence STX with a slightly different DAC (pcm1796 vs pcm1793 in STX) and slightly worse headphone amps. More software features/marketing gimmicks targeted at gamers

Pass..:dots:

Slik June 1, 2012 09:24 PM

I received my Phoebus,and after some issues wit the driver cd, I have it up and running. Overall,it' sounds pretty good. I also have the Xense,and I believe it's a better sounding card when using 5.1 analog. I game only,so I can't make any comments on which card is better for music,dolby etc. etc. The Phoebus comes with a headphone adapter,and volume control pod that makes things pretty easy if you want digital surround with stereo headphones. The software control panel on the Phoebus is a bit more difficult to navigate,and has less pre-game,movie and music settings. The Xonar has a very good set of pre-sets for gaming etc.,and it does provide a much better positional awareness and surround sound when gaming with 5.1 analog speakers. I ordered a set of the new Razer Tiamat 7.1 analog headphones that were shipped and should be delivered by this Monday. I will test the 7.1 analog output of both the Phoebus and Xense,and report my opinion on which card sounds better with 7.1 compared to 5.1. I gotta tell you guys,this shit never ends. There's a new something or other every month. I love it!

Robscix July 1, 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackquelegs (Post 630205)
^
It's in essence (no pun intended) an essence STX with a slightly different DAC (pcm1796 vs pcm1793 in STX) and slightly worse headphone amps. More software features/marketing gimmicks targeted at gamers

Pass..:dots:

IIRC, the Headphones amp section is exactly the same, from opamps to headphone amp chip.:whistle:

Slik July 10, 2012 04:07 PM

New Phoebus beta drivers. They fixed the BF3 isuues that many owners had. I have had no issues with any games with the original drivers,but here are the new ones. http://support.asus.com/downloads

pentiumvi July 12, 2012 08:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 PM.