Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
Rookie

Default I need some serious help with headphones

I am moving into a new apartment in a month and will need to purchase some headphones to game with.
My main concern is gaming, but may do some light music listening as well. I've been doing as much researching as possible and have been overwhelmed by the amount of options available. My current speaker set up are Corsair sp2500's. I have an older creative sound card, but it is not currently installed. I would like to run the headphones through the sp2500's headphone jack for ease of use.

I do not need a mic.

Here is a list of current headphone/headsets I am looking at. They range from anywhere from 100-300 dollars. I would really like to keep the budget low, but also want the best quality I can get for the price range. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Amazon.com: Jeffrey Strickland: Headsets
Old April 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are some really great headphones in that list, although I wouldn't touch any of those "headsets" because they'll probably all sound like junk for music.

What is your budget? There is quite a big difference between $100 and a $300 headphone.

Are you okay with open headphones (they leak sound)?

Honestly you could pick pretty well anything from that list (minus the headsets) and they'll be awesome for music. The ones better for gaming would be the audiotechnica adh-ad700, beyerdynamic DT990 (although these WILL need an amplifier), and senssheiser 598.

w
hy it is making me type bold I don't know,

Those headphones are all open and offer more sound stage than a closed headphone, which will make them better for FPS games and the like, since there is a lot of difference in where the sounds come from. The grados are open but don' t have a particularly large sound stage.

The Audiotechnica M50, Beyer DT770, ATH-A700 all have great bass, which you might find more necessary. Personaly I would choose any of these because of that reason.

I highly suggest using a sound card with any of these headphones, plugged into onboard sound you will not be getting anywhere near the full potential from these headphones, it doesn't matter how good the headphones are if you don't have them plugged into a high quality source, they won't sound good.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a pair of the ATH-AD700's, and they are damn fine headphones for gaming. You will want to run them off a sound card, like the Xonar DX. The difference between onboard and a discrete sound card is immediately obvious once you try one.
Old April 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the replies guys! A few questions.

When it comes to sound cards, if I have one installed, but plug my sp2500's into it, and then plug my headphones into my sp2500's(it has a controller type device with headphone input) will i still be benefiting from the sound card? Hope that makes sense.

I was thinking a sound card like the Asus xonar_dg would be a good place to start.

Also, how do headphone amps work?

Last edited by Rocyaic; April 30, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old April 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocyaic View Post
Thank you for the replies guys! A few questions.

When it comes to sound cards, if I have one installed, but plug my sp2500's into it, and then plug my headphones into my sp2500's(it has a controller type device with headphone input) will i still be benefiting from the sound card? Hope that makes sense.

I was thinking a sound card like the Asus xonar_dg would be a good place to start.

Also, how do headphone amps work?
Yes by plugging the headphone into your speaker jack you are still using the sound card, although you should try plugging them into both the speakers, and sound card directly to see if there is any sound quality difference.

The xonar DG is a great card for the price, it's not very high end but definitely better than onboard audio. It does have a headphone amp that should work OK

Headphone amps amplify the sound, for the most part it doesn't make a big difference if you have easy to drive headphones, but anything over 80 ohms you'll need one to make them loud enough and sound right.
The only ones on that list of headphones you have that need an amp are the DT990 because they are 250 ohm, anything from 80 and under is usually fine without an amp.

Some amps have bass boost if that's your thing, they can boost the lower end big time without distortion.
Old April 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks so much! I think i am going to go with the xonar DG and either the ath-a700 or the ath-ad700's.
Old April 30, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocyaic View Post
Thanks so much! I think i am going to go with the xonar DG and either the ath-a700 or the ath-ad700's.
Great choice(s). The difference in the two, the a700 is closed so it won't leak much sound and will isolate pretty good, they have a bit more bass than the AD700, but less sound stage.

The AD700 are open, leak sound and don't isolate sound, have pretty weak bass, but very good sound stage.

May I also add, the creative aurvana live! is a fairly decent headphone for $100, it's the old Denon D1001, which is a neutral sounding headphone that is decent all around, those aren't a bad choice, same with the V-Moda crossfades.

Some pretty good choices on that list really. Can't go wrong with any of them

Last edited by Jake_HT; April 30, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old April 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
Rookie

Glad my research abilities are appropriate :D. One last question, if i was to look for a headphone amp, what would be a good one? Budget wise something from 20-40 dollars?
Old April 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In that price range, probably a Fiio E6. Fiio E6 - Headphone Bar
Old May 1, 2012, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Cool, if i need to purchase an amp, i'll go with that one. I'm hoping the sound card i got will give it enough boost to not to have to get an amp. I want to try and keep this setup as simple as possible :D. Thanks for the help guys!