Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default TV Speakers

So I recently picked up a Samsung 40" LED (un40d5500) tv as a secondary tv. I'm looking for input on what I should do with the sound setup. The tv audio is pretty poor which is very common for LED tvs. I was contemplating a Samsung Soundbar, but was thinking that computer speakers may provide better sound that the soundbar.

I'm only looking for at most a 2.1 setup. I'm not interested in getting a receiver (have all that gear on my main tv). This tv is pretty much just a backup for watching the odd hockey game or playing some xbox.

Any suggestions on either a soundbar or a set of computer speakers (or another option) would be appreciated.
Old April 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
Allstar

A lot depends on your price range really. It shouldn't be a problem getting either a set of computer speakers or a pair of powered monitors (my choice) to connect to the tv. You will either need an rca to 1/8" for computer speakers or with monitors probably just a regular pair of rca cables or possibly rca to 1/4".

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old April 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with a soundbar over computer speakers, unless you sit awfully close to your TV.

Computer speakers lack the audio field that home theatre speakers are designed for to properly fill the room with sound.

A buddy at work picked up a refurb Vizio soundbar from TigerDirect (not sure what model) and he says it sounds pretty darn good for the price.
Old April 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've seen the Vizio soundbars at Costco for $100 which seems pretty reasonable. The lowest end Samsung is around $230. If the Vizio one doesn't look too bad I may go that route.

Thanks for the input about filling the room with sound, I didn't really consider that for computer speakers.
Old April 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

hehe, yeah computer speakers assume the listener is 2 feet away and are designed as such. Im sure the virtual surround features of the sound bar work rather well these days too (but i cant comment on that).
Old April 25, 2012, 06:38 AM
Trial Member

Default best place to buy it....

THe best place to buy to vizio sound bar is on Amazon.thastuff.com/viziosoundbar. For only $50 ;-)
Old April 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yamaha YSP soundbars are head and shoulders above the competition.

I use a YSP-1100/Energy 8" sub in the living room with my Sammy 67" LED, and it's uncanny how it can extend the apparent soundstage over/behind your shoulders. Older models like mine lack HDMI, but something that is solved with a switch from Monoprice and a Harmony remote.

It can't match the dynamics of my Onkyo/Energy & 15" Mirage sub set up in the dedicated home theatre, but it totally exceeds anyone's expectations of what's possible from one enclosure above the TV with no wires to run.

Scour Kijiji/Craigslist and look for deals.

Old April 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
I've seen the Vizio soundbars at Costco for $100 which seems pretty reasonable. The lowest end Samsung is around $230. If the Vizio one doesn't look too bad I may go that route.

Thanks for the input about filling the room with sound, I didn't really consider that for computer speakers.
Never been to Costco, but if they have a decent return policy, no harm in trying it. I'm sure it'll still sound a fair bit better than the TV speakers.
Old April 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I tried computer speakers. I used optical output, and could not control the volume with the remote. If you do get computer speakers, make sure it has an IR remote and that you can train your current remote to do the volume.

I have this Yamaha soundbar: YAS-101 - Sound Bar / Digital Sound Projector - Home Theater Systems - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

What I like about it:

1. good sound
2. Small, not intrusive
3. Passes through any remote signals to the TV...many sound bars will block the TV IR sensor, if the sound bar is placed in front of the TV (not a problem if you mount the TV though).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I ended up picking up the Vizio soundbar for $100 at Costco. It does sound significantly better than the built in TV speakers. I wouldn't say it's stellar sound, but for the price it's not bad. It does have a sub out as well if I feel like adding a little bass in the future.

I will be wall mounting the tv (waiting on Monoprice to deliver), so it should be a decent secondary setup. I won't need a harmony remote since the current Shaw remote can control the Shaw box, tv, and soundbar. I just wanted something low maintenance with a reasonable setup. Looks like everything is working out that way.

Thanks again for all the input. Greatly appreciated!