Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
tianfeng's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 120

My System Specs

Default

yea it is true that a 200 dollar sound card is not able to equal a dedicated headphone amp. But Sennheiser has a a set of headphones for gaming that are 150 ohms. A normal sound card will not drive them properly. You need to go with something that has headphone amplification and most people will not want to invest in a huge headphone amp.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
Keywork's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Niagara
Posts: 604

My System Specs

Default

Sound cards will still have their place for years to come. I recently purchased a Fiio E10 to use with my laptop, and while it sounds incredible when listening to music (mainly through my Senn 595's), it does not sound nearly as good as my Forte in my desktop when I play BF3.
__________________
Friends don't let friends use onboard video.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
DkRk's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: VanCity, B.C.
Posts: 426

My System Specs

Default

It seems some motherboard manufacturers are beginning to pay more than superficial attention to the audio aspects of their boards. I think it's Gigabyte(?) whose high-end board had some gold Nihicon caps for its audio circuitry? That's probably more show than anything else.

I'll be taking my Essence STX to my grave, or until the PCI-e standard becomes obsolete. I don't need the amplification but the 'warmer,' tube-like sound takes just enough edge off my Grado's.
__________________
Protect your chicken from Dokken.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
deinosaur's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 61

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
In case you missed the giant facepalm...the entire 600ohm headphone amp expression does not make any sense.

One measure of amplifier performance is internal impedance, or called amplifier output impedance. Amplifier Output Impedance

What the specification on the ASUS card tells you is the SNR when used WITH a 600ohm pair of headphones.

I use a pair of 600ohm DT880s with my Xonar STX, and there's no way in hell am I going to be satisfied with the way it sounds straight out of the card. It's not powerful enough. That's why I have a line-out from the STX to a Schiit Asgard for properly amplification.

Also regarding gain levels. As you go higher you will lose dynamic range..so keep it as low as you can
how could I miss that? It made me laugh, I just wasn't sure why it was there because I am not too familiar with sound devices and their technology. I knew you would explain yourself though I was kind of waiting for that. So then you have your Schiit Asgard connected to your STX ? If you don't mind me asking, what would the difference be in connecting the Asgard to your on board instead of the STX. and how much of a difference does the Asgard really make? I am considering getting something like that so I am curious to know the experience you have had with it compare to using a normal Sound card like the STX and ST in my case as your main device for listening to your media.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Painbringer71's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 89

My System Specs

Default

A tiny chip on a board size of a quarter replacing a card the size of a dollar bill or bigger? A USB headset with software running at a fake 7.1 level Hummmm I have both and they are wonderful each with ther own advantages and perks. I have had my share of sound cards in the past but ease of use is my priority. Bombs bullets wizzing by my head in games they all seem real enough for me. Unless you are obsesive or tech crazy work at a recording studio. Lets face it are they really needed. Think about it.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Jackquelegs's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,590

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinosaur View Post
how could I miss that? It made me laugh, I just wasn't sure why it was there because I am not too familiar with sound devices and their technology. I knew you would explain yourself though I was kind of waiting for that. So then you have your Schiit Asgard connected to your STX ? If you don't mind me asking, what would the difference be in connecting the Asgard to your on board instead of the STX. and how much of a difference does the Asgard really make? I am considering getting something like that so I am curious to know the experience you have had with it compare to using a normal Sound card like the STX and ST in my case as your main device for listening to your media.
I've been using a good number of soundcards over the last few years. My first move away from onboard I believe was a Auzentech Forte, and that was very eye-opening. You get better dynamic range and more details in sound.

If you want good sound, a good source is always needed. Amplifiers aren't magical devices that make everything sound better. If crap goes in..louder crap will come out. That's why my STX is strictly used as a good source, then the Asgard will amplify that signal to suit my end device needs.

If you use PC speakers then the asgard would be completely useless since PC speakers have their own amplifiers. But if you have low sensitivity high impedance headphones you should definitely look into getting an amp. Mind you though, if you have an easy to drive set of cans, having an amp won't make it sound better automatically.
__________________
Iapetos
Intel Core i7 930 D0 4.2ghz, Corsair XMS3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24, Xfire HD5870, Intel X-25M 34nm 80gb, Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W, Xonar D2X

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
deinosaur's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 61

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I've been using a good number of soundcards over the last few years. My first move away from onboard I believe was a Auzentech Forte, and that was very eye-opening. You get better dynamic range and more details in sound.

If you want good sound, a good source is always needed. Amplifiers aren't magical devices that make everything sound better. If crap goes in..louder crap will come out. That's why my STX is strictly used as a good source, then the Asgard will amplify that signal to suit my end device needs.

If you use PC speakers then the asgard would be completely useless since PC speakers have their own amplifiers. But if you have low sensitivity high impedance headphones you should definitely look into getting an amp. Mind you though, if you have an easy to drive set of cans, having an amp won't make it sound better automatically.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Jackquelegs's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,590

My System Specs

Default

No problem. Head-fi and AVSforums are good places to get information!
__________________
Iapetos
Intel Core i7 930 D0 4.2ghz, Corsair XMS3 6X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24, Xfire HD5870, Intel X-25M 34nm 80gb, Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W, Xonar D2X

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
BootlegUsher's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 453
Default

So even though the STX advertises being able to drive 600ohm headphones, you are saying its underpowered?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,566

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
So even though the STX advertises being able to drive 600ohm headphones, you are saying its underpowered?
The STX amp isn't necessarily under powered, more like the Schiit Asgard is overpowered to the point of being dangerous.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linus and Sound Cards jimmyb007 Video Cards 2 January 29, 2012 11:35 AM
USB Sound cards. GT7R Audio 37 April 5, 2011 12:36 PM
Sound Cards and Win7 crispex Troubleshooting 5 June 7, 2009 08:10 AM
Old sound cards better than integrate??? Balfrat Audio 9 March 21, 2009 01:58 AM
Vista64 and sound cards - what's currently better? EventHorizon Audio 3 May 10, 2008 09:18 AM