Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2012, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure how much i'm looking to spend yet, i guess once i get some recomendations I will start looking into how much I will need to spend to get a card that will work for me.
Old April 8, 2012, 09:26 PM
Rookie

Jibz, i definitely didn't mean to steal your name. This is actually the first time i've come across someone using the jibs/jibz nickname
Old May 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I say for sub $100, an HT omega, or xonar would be great
Old June 1, 2012, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you might want to check out the Asus Rog Phoebus. fairly new but seems to have everything you want.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Asus Rog Phoebus Looks like a pretty wicked sound card. Anyone with actual experience with this card care to chime in?
Old June 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Slik got one a while back

Asus Pheobus released.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I tested the Xense and Phoebus with my Tiamat 7.1 analog headphones,and of course,set the cards to 7.1 analog. I also tested both cards in 5.1 analog. I tested my trusty Psyko Carbon's with both cards too. After playing several games,I found the Phoebus sounded better than the Xense in 7.1,and the Xense better than the Phoebus at 5.1. I prefer the Phoebus with the Tiamats at 7.1 analog for gaming. The Psyko's didn't sound as good as the Tiamat's when in 7.1 with the Phoebus. I think Asus had 7.1 analog in mind when they designed the Phoebus. All in all,the Phoebus is a great card once you figure out navigating the software settings.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old June 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I used to buy the best sound cards but now I just use my video card as my sound card and I think it works great occourse I have it going though my AV Home Sytem so that makes it sound even better.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old June 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
I used to buy the best sound cards but now I just use my video card as my sound card and I think it works great occourse I have it going though my AV Home Sytem so that makes it sound even better.
If all you're doing is using a digital format to transfer your sound, ie. HDMI or toslink, then yeah, a sound card won't benefit you one bit. If, however, you're sticking to typical 3.5mm/RCA jacks to output sound, then a sound card can be very beneficial.
Old June 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
If all you're doing is using a digital format to transfer your sound, ie. HDMI or toslink, then yeah, a sound card won't benefit you one bit. If, however, you're sticking to typical 3.5mm/RCA jacks to output sound, then a sound card can be very beneficial.
That is not quite true. Even though you are using digital, you can still pass the card features through digital to your external device. Many times, onboards will also have very shotty digital outputs, very jittery and imprecise.

For example, many of the best gaming audio systems I have seen use a gaming card and pass the features through digital to a higher end DAC or receiver. This way you have all the features of the card but have higher quality sound in comparison to just the cards DAC's.

On the other hand, if you have a higher end modern soundcard, you would be better off running analog to many receivers as many modern soundcards would have superior DAC's in comparison to what is available on receiver S/Pdif input section.