Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2012, 03:36 PM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Default Upgrading Microphone, suggestions?

SO i have been using the BLUE YETI USB mic to do my voiceovers for videos but that went caput. I am now looking for a new audio setup, perhaps going with XLR inout mic and amp along with it! Not sure if this can be achieved for $200. I have ASUS DX 7.1 sound card but i hear for audio recording its crappy at best.

I want the amp to be connected to my computer, mic into the amp! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old April 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Shure SM58.

Real tough to beat for under $200, even after all these years. Only drawback is the poor low frequency response, (probably due to the fact that it's a dynamic) but I've seen your reviews and your voice isn't ridiculously deep so you shouldn't have any issues with it.

The SM57 might be suitable for your voice too.

Last edited by ilya; April 6, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old April 6, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

while it's not in your price range (look for sales or used ones) i personally use the Zoom H4N for doing training videos at work. It is simply an amazing device. Includes built in XY Stereo Mics, External Stereo mic input as well as 2 XLR-1/4" combo jacks. Can run in stereo, 4 track or MTR mode. Plus if you connect it via USB you can use it as either a SD card reader or a USB mic. Although at an MSRP of $400 it is definitely out of your budget. just something to consider. Unfortunately your limit of $200 is going to limit how many of those features you can get and still keep the quality up.

Old April 6, 2012, 09:05 PM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Shure SM58.

Real tough to beat for under $200, even after all these years. Only drawback is the poor low frequency response, (probably due to the fact that it's a dynamic) but I've seen your reviews and your voice isn't ridiculously deep so you shouldn't have any issues with it.

The SM57 might be suitable for your voice too.
That one seems nice! Pretty good reviews! I might go for it but not sure about the interface. What should i get for the XLR input? Some sort of an amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
while it's not in your price range (look for sales or used ones) i personally use the Zoom H4N for doing training videos at work. It is simply an amazing device. Includes built in XY Stereo Mics, External Stereo mic input as well as 2 XLR-1/4" combo jacks. Can run in stereo, 4 track or MTR mode. Plus if you connect it via USB you can use it as either a SD card reader or a USB mic. Although at an MSRP of $400 it is definitely out of your budget. just something to consider. Unfortunately your limit of $200 is going to limit how many of those features you can get and still keep the quality up.
I've seen that mic and i was considering it, but i want to directly connect it to my comp and record in Adobe Audition. I'm not sure if the H4N allows that, well it has the USB interface, but does the computer detect it as a live mic?
Old April 7, 2012, 12:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitry49 View Post
SO i have been using the BLUE YETI USB mic to do my voiceovers for videos but that went caput. I am now looking for a new audio setup, perhaps going with XLR inout mic and amp along with it! Not sure if this can be achieved for $200. I have ASUS DX 7.1 sound card but i hear for audio recording its crappy at best.

I want the amp to be connected to my computer, mic into the amp! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Honestly the Yeti is pretty hard to beat in that price range. It's a very good Mic. For my DSLR I have a Rode VideoMic Pro and it produces some great sound and it would be hard to tell the difference between the Yeti and the Rode.
Old April 7, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitry49 View Post
That one seems nice! Pretty good reviews! I might go for it but not sure about the interface. What should i get for the XLR input? Some sort of an amp?

I've seen that mic and i was considering it, but i want to directly connect it to my comp and record in Adobe Audition. I'm not sure if the H4N allows that, well it has the USB interface, but does the computer detect it as a live mic?
Well that's basically how i use it at work. I connect to my computer in interface mode and use it to record my voice through camtasia studio. i have also tried it with audacity, cubase and teamspeak. It works in all of those. Windows sees it as a usb microphone. Also it as a tripod screw hole and a line out so if you wanted you could get the hot shoe mounting adapter slap that puppy on a dslr and use the line out on the mic and connect it to the line in on the dslr.

Old April 7, 2012, 12:54 PM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Quote:
Well that's basically how i use it at work. I connect to my computer in interface mode and use it to record my voice through camtasia studio. i have also tried it with audacity, cubase and teamspeak. It works in all of those. Windows sees it as a usb microphone. Also it as a tripod screw hole and a line out so if you wanted you could get the hot shoe mounting adapter slap that puppy on a dslr and use the line out on the mic and connect it to the line in on the dslr.
Nice! I actually might pick one upm but i was also lookng at the Rode NT1-A studio kit, plus get a $100 amp, so running me around the same price. The advantage of having the ZOOM is the portability factor. I'm doing video production, and all of my audio is done in post, but once i move onto bigger projects, the H4N would come in really handy..ugggghh...trying to make the right decision with my green ones.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well the other thing i use it for is my church. I record the sermons (and no i won't get into the details unless you want me to). But suffice it to say while my G3 does a pretty good job the mic is to far away. The h4n allows to be to pull an audio track off of the wireless mic directly without any mixing so i can add it to the video later. I definitely appreciate the portability factor. Not to deminish the onboard mics as they are nothing short of amazing. In stereo the recording quality options are insane i think it goes up to 96Khz/24bit in wave and up to either 328kbps or vbr in mp3. It has a ton of options as it has 3 recording modes.

1. Stereo (pretty self explanatory, you can either record from the stereo mics or the 2 xlr inputs)
2. 4 Channel (records from both XLR and Stereo mics, results in 2 stereo wave files)
3. MTR (Multi Track, this is where this thing shines allows multi track recording and over dubbing.)

I also know of 2 other people at my work with also both have H4N's and love them to bits. Some other things to consider depending how important multi track recording is to you with portability i would also consider the R16 if your recording mostly using the xlr inputs and not the on board mics.

Just some food for thought.

Old April 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Quote:
The h4n allows to be to pull an audio track off of the wireless mic directly without any mixing so i can add it to the video later. I definitely appreciate the portability factor. Not to deminish the onboard mics as they are nothing short of amazing. In stereo the recording quality options are insane i think it goes up to 96Khz/24bit in wave and up to either 328kbps or vbr in mp3. It has a ton of options as it has 3 recording modes.

1. Stereo (pretty self explanatory, you can either record from the stereo mics or the 2 xlr inputs)
2. 4 Channel (records from both XLR and Stereo mics, results in 2 stereo wave files)
3. MTR (Multi Track, this is where this thing shines allows multi track recording and over dubbing.)
I agree, its a great mic. But after doing some more thinking, i actually decided on the Audio-Technica AT2035 along with a Tascan US-122mkII preamp. The mic is high quality, produces excellent audio and it suits my voice, and the Tascan preamp has the interface i want, supports 24bit/96Khz and after testing it, i was very pleased. I initially wanted to pull the plug on the Rode NT1-A, simply because there is more hype on the net for it, comes with wapping 10 years warranty, all the goodies (windscreen, shockmount, pouch, cable) but it was still out of my range after getting the preamp. So i've settled for what i can afford and really happy with the results. My next video for HWC will be recorded using my new setup :D!
Old April 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

congrats on the new purchase. Tascam is another great company.

Tags
amp , new microphone