Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Audio Questions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/52805-audio-questions.html)

Arinoth March 28, 2012 09:27 AM

Audio Questions
Alright, so my receiver is currently not operate at 100% so I was wondering what kind of alternatives I may be able to go with whenever I send it in for warranty repairs.

Right now I don't use my 360 at all, so I was wondering if its possible to find a sound card that will accept/connect to banana connectors so I can use my home theatre speakers with an after market sound card.

Only two systems would need access to this, though I'd probably feed the output of one into the input of the other to limit/simplify the who ordeal.

Basically, still want to use my home theatre speakers/sub without my receiver using my computer.

ilya March 28, 2012 09:44 AM

What I did was I butchered a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and stuck banana plugs on them. Sound quality isn't as good, but it was just a rough job and a quick fix.

krazyups March 28, 2012 10:11 AM

I did a similar thing, 3.5mm jack to RCA adapters and then plugged them into my receiver. It worked fine for my purpose, and sounded better then the desktop speakers. You will most likely need some sort of amplification for them though, I don't know if any sound card can drive your speakers directly, but I've never really looked into it.

Arinoth March 28, 2012 11:21 AM

Yeah I don't know if I'd need an amp'ed sound card or not, almost figured I would though this is unknown territory for me.

enaberif March 28, 2012 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 615503)
Yeah I don't know if I'd need an amp'ed sound card or not, almost figured I would though this is unknown territory for me.

You won't find anything to my knowledge that will allow you to do this. Your tv should have some "inputs" for coax or optical.

Jake_HT March 28, 2012 12:35 PM

You'll need something to amp the speakers, which a sound card won't do, sound cards can only power headphones or tiny speakers, nothing bookshelf size that's for sure.

Arinoth March 28, 2012 12:49 PM

Damn that sucks...

KaptCrunch March 28, 2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
best use a 1/8 stereo to rca Y

NOTE: warning turn amp down to zero then turn PC volume up to 100% then adjust your amp to a MAX level and tape mark that position for when change inputs on amp turn it down and have ref to tape when back to pc sound

for stereo sound 1/8 stereo plug male goes to sound card output and the rca's go to a input on amp be it AUX or a port your not using

Arinoth March 28, 2012 01:17 PM

I have no Amp

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 PM.