Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2012, 05:50 AM
Top Prospect

Default Asus xonar DX settings...

Hi guys,

I got a few questions about the settings, I dont realy understand them

there is an option FP headphone... What does it mean? is it good for gaming?
2,4,6,8 channel... What does this mean? what channel do I need to use for gaming...

I play counter strike source and I need the best settings to hear everyone...

Hope one of u guys know more then me xD

PS: I use steelseries siberia v2

Greetz Skozaa

Last edited by Skozaa; March 9, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

Hello...The 'FP Headphone' setting is just selecting the Front Panel headphone output that is usually built in to the front of your case. Under the Analog Out menu, you'll also see 'Headphone'...this is used if you have your headphones connected to the connector on the back of the card instead. Something to note is if you select either FP Headphone or Headphone in the Analog Out menu, it will allow you to enable Dolby Headphone - this is something you might want to try out with your headphones at it will simulate multi-channel surround with your headphones. Some people like it, others don't...just personal preference.

The 2, 4, 6, etc... channel under the Audio Channel menu is just how many channels your audio has. So, for gaming you should select 8 channel. However, for things like listening to music, for example, set this to 2 channel. If you click the '?' button beside the Audio Channel menu, there's a few suggestions to go by.

Hope this helps! :)
Old March 9, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skozaa View Post
Hi guys,

I got a few questions about the settings, I dont realy understand them

there is an option FP headphone... What does it mean? is it good for gaming?
2,4,6,8 channel... What does this mean? what channel do I need to use for gaming...

I play counter strike source and I need the best settings to hear everyone...

Hope one of u guys know more then me xD

PS: I use steelseries siberia v2

Greetz Skozaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Hello...The 'FP Headphone' setting is just selecting the Front Panel headphone output that is usually built in to the front of your case. Under the Analog Out menu, you'll also see 'Headphone'...this is used if you have your headphones connected to the connector on the back of the card instead. Something to note is if you select either FP Headphone or Headphone in the Analog Out menu, it will allow you to enable Dolby Headphone - this is something you might want to try out with your headphones at it will simulate multi-channel surround with your headphones. Some people like it, others don't...just personal preference.

The 2, 4, 6, etc... channel under the Audio Channel menu is just how many channels your audio has. So, for gaming you should select 8 channel. However, for things like listening to music, for example, set this to 2 channel. If you click the '?' button beside the Audio Channel menu, there's a few suggestions to go by.

Hope this helps! :)
Multichannel playback will only work if the product on the end supports it. Since these are a 2.0 headphone just leave it at 2 channels.
Old March 11, 2012, 06:57 AM
Rookie

I have headphones and 2.0 speakers so the only options I ever use under Analog Out are: Headphone and 2 Speakers.

For competitive gaming in BF3 using headphones:

For immersive listening to music on headphones or 2.0 speakers:

Dolby Headphone sounds great for movies and in those cases it looks like this:

Now depending on the source engine, you might need to mix and match some options like:

Audio Channel-----------Analog Out
8--------------------------headphones or 2 speakers
6--------------------------headphones or 2 speakers
4--------------------------headphones or 2 speakers

You could even play with Dolby Headphone and see how that sounds to your ear. I like to toss a grenade out in front of me and turn my character so the nade goes off by my right ear, then my left, then tossing another and running and jumping through it (can you jump in source?) Just fight w/ the explosions and see if you can have a friend come from behind left shooting towards you, just mix it up. Have fun with it! All this assumes those are 2 channel headphones. I spent about a minute or two trying to understand the Siberia, but I'm not really sure of it's pros/cons/etc.

Edit: found them:

Pros

-Extremely Comfortable (Beyer velour ear muffs as large as AKG Q701)
-Retractable microphone (would be SO much better than the Zalman ZM1-mic clip on that picks up all sounds known to man)
-Good passive noise reduction (Not sure who isolates the best, but it would be nice to have open for larger soundstage w/ more accurate cues and closed for LAN parties)
-Price (is not going to matter if even 3 or 4 of these things get melded together perfectly.)
-Comes in a wide variety of colors (I like this, I really do. Black band, Yellow muff to match my home speakers. :D)

Cons will become Pros if Steelseries could work together w/ Sennsheiser/AKG/Beyer/Audio Technnica/Denon

-Slightly muddy bass---Beyer 880, Denon D2000, Sennheiser HD600, AKG Q701
-Leather ear pads can make you sweat--Beyer Velour, Sennheiser Velour, AKG Velour get together in the room and bake the best velour!
-Small ear cups so not really “full sized”--Death of supra aural, all phones need to be fitting like a great pair of Asics or Brooks running shoes.
-Smaller sound stage than what we would like to hear--Sennheiser HD800, AKG Q701

Last edited by Jodiuh; March 11, 2012 at 07:35 AM.