Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2012, 08:44 PM
Rookie

I was lucky to get a pair in from an online store, thankfully as they told me that another shipment won't arrive in the GTA area until late May...my previous headset is the PS3 wireless stereo headset, and these really does sound a lot of better than the average ones.

Pro:
- sounds does give a good sense of location
- volume control unit is useful, and the braided cable is very beefy

Con:
- not very comfortable, a bit heavy for my preference
- Leatherette ear cushions make my ears sweat after 20 minutes...that's not good
- the headphone itself is very plasticly, feels like a toy

Bottomline, if you are willing to try something new then this is a great product. But considering the $180 price tag, there are alternatives that will give you very similar performance.

I got this for $160 btw
Old June 1, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mine will be delivered on Monday. I have the new Phoebus 7.1 sound card,and will let you all know what I think.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old June 4, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have the Tiamat's hooked up and I must say,these things are TERRIFIC. I hear things in my games that I never ever heard before. I've always said I'm trying to find a better set than Psyko,and I do believe the Tiamats have ended my search. At least for now. Everything about the Tiamat's are top notch. Super comfortable,super surround,and a neat individual speaker volume control pod. Granted,they're a bit expensive,but in my opinion they are worth every penny. I do have a bit of an issue though. There is a humming sound [like feedback] that I hear even with the volume turned down or muted. It's not very loud,but it's there and it bugs the hell out of me. I don't want to get into an RMA or anything until I hear from some of the members here. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what might cause that hum? Thanks for help all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old June 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

sounds like its interference from the soundcard, picking up garbage from your pc case and power.

Old June 5, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try your ols Psyko or Carbons and see if it's the card or the headset.. also try 1 channel at a time to see if there is a specific port or set of drivers on the card / headset that is causing it.
Old June 5, 2012, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't get a hum with the Psyko Carbon's. The Psyko's have their own amp which is different than the Tiamat amp. I played around with the volume control pod,and at certain levels,the hum lessened. Technokat may be right. I'm going to put the card in a different slot. I have been testing with my Xonar Xense,so I'll swap that card for the ROG Phoebus and see how that works out.

Last edited by Slik; June 5, 2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spell
Old June 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Seems the humming sound is an issue with every set. I checked a few user reviews,and they all hear that hum..A fix is to use a USB hub to power the Tiamats. I don't have a USB hub,but I don't really need one. Once you are into a game,or watching a movie,the hum goes away. It's only audible when nothing is playing. If anyone here has a set,don't be worried about the hum you may hear. Nothing is broken. The Tiamat's are one hell of a good set of gaming headphones.
Old July 1, 2012, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i found the Tiamat's excellent in FPS which i play 80% of the time. this also holds true for racing games. job well done for directionality and you get a sense of the surround effect. i would not recommend them for music though as they definitely leave something to be desired. they do however sound great in action movies if the sound is well engineered. i'm not an audiophile...to say the least....these are just my personal observations.