Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

Default Desperately need to upgrade my computer audio

I really don't like my audio solution right now, especially that annoying GSM noise that comes through the speaker every time someone calls me. Price is not really an issue so long as I feel that I am spending wisely.

After doing some research, I've narrowed down a few choices:

Edifier S330D 2.1 Speaker Set 72W RMS High Gloss Black Piano Finish Digital & Analog Input - EDIFIER - S330D

M-AUDIO Studiophile AV40 Desktop 2.0 Speaker System 40W RMS Black - M-Audio - 9900-65140-00

Harman Kardon SoundSticks III 2.1 Channel Sound System - Apple Store (Canada)

Audioengine 5+ - Audioengineusa.com

Would on-board audio be sufficient for any of these, or should I get a soundcard/DAC?
Old February 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely upgrade from onboard. You can sometimes find used X-Fi XtremeMusic's for around $30, or purchase a Xonar DX for around $70.

As for GSM buzz, you could always upgrade to a 3G phone :)
Old February 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

Wow. Turning on 3G did the trick! I would always turn it off when I got home to save data. Thanks!

$30 seems like a really good price, however that card seems to be discontinued. I will look into soundcards though.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
Top Prospect

Okay so let's say I got the Audioengine 2 and a sound card - would I be able to connect a subwoofer to the sound card and would the sound card be able to handle the crossover?
Old February 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristhrottle View Post
Okay so let's say I got the Audioengine 2 and a sound card - would I be able to connect a subwoofer to the sound card and would the sound card be able to handle the crossover?
Your better off getting a Xonar card from Asus then getting either the Edifier or M-Audio setup and be happy.

I would never spend $100 or more on speakers and NOT upgrade the sound card as it is one of most crucial and critical components to good sound.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

A decent sound card or amp/dac is great addition to any setup! If you're looking for some decent monitors, take a look as well at some KRK's or similar. They can usually be had for a decent price if you look around!
Old February 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also check out klipsch promedia 2.1 They sound fantastic.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
Top Prospect

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a sound card and a pair of monitors - I'm considering the Audioengine A2s because they are small and will fit on my desk nicely. My question is if I add a sub will the sound card be able to handle the crossover properly, or do I need to get a sub that does this?
Old February 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Just another option (throwing it out here) - you can check out canuckaudiomart/craigslist/kijiji/ebay and look for quality bookshelf speakers - They might not be as loud but they sure sound great.
Swans are another option as well.