Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Desperately need to upgrade my computer audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/51555-desperately-need-upgrade-my-computer-audio.html)

aristhrottle February 13, 2012 08:47 AM

Desperately need to upgrade my computer audio

I really don't like my audio solution right now, especially that annoying GSM noise that comes through the speaker every time someone calls me. Price is not really an issue so long as I feel that I am spending wisely.

After doing some research, I've narrowed down a few choices:

Edifier S330D 2.1 Speaker Set 72W RMS High Gloss Black Piano Finish Digital & Analog Input - EDIFIER - S330D

M-AUDIO Studiophile AV40 Desktop 2.0 Speaker System 40W RMS Black - M-Audio - 9900-65140-00

Harman Kardon SoundSticks III 2.1 Channel Sound System - Apple Store (Canada)

Audioengine 5+ - Audioengineusa.com

Would on-board audio be sufficient for any of these, or should I get a soundcard/DAC?

zoob February 13, 2012 09:00 AM

Definitely upgrade from onboard. You can sometimes find used X-Fi XtremeMusic's for around $30, or purchase a Xonar DX for around $70.

As for GSM buzz, you could always upgrade to a 3G phone :)

aristhrottle February 13, 2012 09:20 AM

Wow. Turning on 3G did the trick! I would always turn it off when I got home to save data. Thanks!

$30 seems like a really good price, however that card seems to be discontinued. I will look into soundcards though.

aristhrottle February 15, 2012 05:09 PM

Okay so let's say I got the Audioengine 2 and a sound card - would I be able to connect a subwoofer to the sound card and would the sound card be able to handle the crossover?

enaberif February 15, 2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aristhrottle (Post 602267)
Okay so let's say I got the Audioengine 2 and a sound card - would I be able to connect a subwoofer to the sound card and would the sound card be able to handle the crossover?

Your better off getting a Xonar card from Asus then getting either the Edifier or M-Audio setup and be happy.

I would never spend $100 or more on speakers and NOT upgrade the sound card as it is one of most crucial and critical components to good sound.

Keywork February 15, 2012 06:01 PM

A decent sound card or amp/dac is great addition to any setup! If you're looking for some decent monitors, take a look as well at some KRK's or similar. They can usually be had for a decent price if you look around!

Jake_HT February 15, 2012 06:03 PM

Also check out klipsch promedia 2.1 They sound fantastic.

aristhrottle February 17, 2012 01:24 PM

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a sound card and a pair of monitors - I'm considering the Audioengine A2s because they are small and will fit on my desk nicely. My question is if I add a sub will the sound card be able to handle the crossover properly, or do I need to get a sub that does this?

TheGomdoRi February 22, 2012 02:10 PM

Just another option (throwing it out here) - you can check out canuckaudiomart/craigslist/kijiji/ebay and look for quality bookshelf speakers - They might not be as loud but they sure sound great.
Swans are another option as well.