Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2012, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need Help [Bookshelf Speakers // Receiver]

Looking for decent price 400-600 dollar range

I'm in need of some GOOD bookshelf speakers.
A receiver that that can be used with them.

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by MittWaffle; January 21, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:08 PM

My System Specs

Why not go w/ a pair of good powered monitors + a decent sound card. That is what I would do If I wanted just a 2.0 setup.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
Allstar

Hate to say it but you are going to find it difficult getting audiophile grade speakers for that price range let alone adding an amp. I'd look onto Angstrom speakers (Canadian made and their office is in Marham), they have amazing bookshelf speakers (silk dome tweaters and Vifa drivers in their Mod line) and if you contact them you can get b-stock for about half price. If you do that you may be able to pull it off. As for amps I'd stick with a Yamaha or Harmon Kardon in the lower price range....preferably something on sale.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 21, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tagged because this looks quite similar to my thread... and btw I like the idea of canadian made speakers, definitively need to check this out.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Why not go w/ a pair of good powered monitors + a decent sound card. That is what I would do If I wanted just a 2.0 setup.

I have a decent sound card (X-fi extrememusic & Asus STX), using it for headphones mainly and my z5500.

Was looking at the A5 powered bookshelf, but saw some long term problems, issues with heat and limitations. Seems to be a problem with powered bookshelf that i've looked at.

I might probably expand this to a 5.1 system, or 2.1 in the future.
Might even consider a cheap sub and turn it into a 2.1 right away.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Hate to say it but you are going to find it difficult getting audiophile grade speakers for that price range let alone adding an amp. I'd look onto Angstrom speakers (Canadian made and their office is in Marham), they have amazing bookshelf speakers (silk dome tweaters and Vifa drivers in their Mod line) and if you contact them you can get b-stock for about half price. If you do that you may be able to pull it off. As for amps I'd stick with a Yamaha or Harmon Kardon in the lower price range....preferably something on sale.
Really? Audiophile must have wide range of terminology.

I've been reading audio forms and have heard 250-400 range for a pair can net you VERY good quality compared to Preboxed HT systems, PC speakers, when you make your own unit. Are you an audiophiles'audiophile? Just need some good sounding bookshelf speakers that will upgrade my sound.

cheers.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Just go listen to them, make get a pair you like the sound of. I just bought a $250 pair of energy connoiseur bookshelf that I preffered to way more expensive speakers.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Allstar

Audiophile usually references high end speakers. Retail my 5.1 speaker setup (all Angstrom) probably comes in around $3500 and is at the low end of what most people consider audiophile. I really can't afford to play in those circles haha. I must say though that I haven't heard anything this good in this price range let alone bang for your buck. These speakers convinced me to go from floor-standing speakers to bookshelf's. Before that thought it was sacrilege to do so and never thought it would happen. Most of the time you do need a sub though. I managed to pick up a used Angstrom sub for $200...I believe they sell refurbished subs for around that price. Note that when I bought my Modular 4's refurbished they were mint with not a scratch or anything wrong with them. Just a huge savings.

I do agree with what's been said though, it doesn't cost too much money to get very good quality compared to HTIB systems and well worth the extra cash spent.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Just go listen to them, make get a pair you like the sound of. I just bought a $250 pair of energy connoiseur bookshelf that I preffered to way more expensive speakers.

Absolutely, that's the only way to do it. Bring along the music you are most familiar with and test out some speakers. Choose what you find sounds the best and fits your price range.

Old January 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

I'm interested in doing the very same thing. Which receivers have you been looking at?