Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Fried my soundcard... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/50504-fried-my-soundcard.html)

JoshOohAh January 15, 2012 06:15 PM

Fried my soundcard...

Alright so in summary let's just say I totally killed my onboard soundcard. To the point where no audio input will work nor microphone jack.

I need to somehow get this all back and functioning because I cannot live without my precious audio. I just need a simple recommendation. I want to stay under $50 but if I need to go over then so be it. I have a PCIe x4 available and numerous USB ports.

What is something that is decent for more music than gaming? I'm not a music producer and listen to like FLAC files or any of that stuff. I just need something that won't make me want to smash my head against the wall with it's terrible audio quality. I have 5.1 speakers so I would need to be able to have an input for Front, Rear, Center/ Bass, and a Microphone.

Tell me what you have, anything. I just don't want to go buy something based of what looks pretty.

clshades January 15, 2012 06:32 PM

I like auzentech and they have pci-e versions. You'd be happy with any of them.

howpet January 16, 2012 12:33 PM

If you have a PCI slot open I"d recommend this:
AuzenTech X-RAIDER 7.1 Channel Sound Card PCI - AuzenTech - X-Raider 7.1
Bought this for my daughters music. Much better than onboard, only downfall is I have keep telling her to turn it down.

YukonTrooper January 16, 2012 01:28 PM

Any of the sub $50 Auzentech or ASUS cards will suffice.

bigFOIG January 17, 2012 12:59 PM

Catch the Xonar DX on sale for about 55 and you'll be happy.

MARSTG January 17, 2012 07:02 PM

or a used audigy 2 for 20$

MittWaffle January 20, 2012 09:17 AM

I have recently bought MANY different sound cards, Auzentech is crap same as creative, except better sound quality...same issues though.
I tried three X-fi cards around the 200 dollar range, including the hometheater hd from Auzen, it has a static baseline, with Hi-fi headphones you can pick this up.

I also tried the Titanium HD and STX from Asus, they both had issues such as screeching, switching noises that can blow your set of cans and a screech of death.
The titanium hd has a static hiss pickup too similar to the Auzen, so there is old engineering methods being used on the PCB that seems to be a X-FI trend.

I'd personally wait for Asus and their new sound cards in a few months. I ended up tossing the towel in on PCI-E cards, and waiting for the next revision, the quality is just too poor for my personal preference.
But ASUS is far better because they have proper grounding in the PCB and thus no static pickup from a system thats under load. Asus has new cards in the pipeline that are native PCI-E, and should not cause issues since they now get their own power from a 6pin PCI-E line, not the Mobo.

Sound cards, most if not all of them (PCI-E with X-fi) pickup GPU load from the PCI-E bus and cause hissing, static while in use.

Wait for the new cards bro, otherwise you are getting sub-par first gen crap that has mistakes in the design, these affect the sound quality.