LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not true.

Some subs with 2 speakers aka Corsair unit would HIGHLY benefit from a dedicated card over a onboard card.
Agreed noticeable difference with my Mako's from onboard to Xonar DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 6, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

i use ob sound to HT receiver via optical 15" sub bins, can't get past 10:00 with out dishes moving

CT can walk the plank for thiers not out box product dolby....had to pay spdif port use
Old January 6, 2012, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ack1otus View Post
well I have a logitech 2.1 speakers, and that't not really the high end speakers. More like the low end if you ask me, but I think that with the dedicated cards, its more crisp?
If you can't hear anything particularly wrong with the onboard setup you have now, then keep it. It's good enough for most purposes.

These guys have good software for testing PC sound hardware: http://audio.rightmark.org
You could try testing your onboard with a loopback cable (line out to line in), then if you end up purchasing another card you could do the same and compare results to see how much benefit you REALLY got. Personally, I think most of the claims of X card sounding waaay better than the onboard are either instances where the onboard was seriously broken, or they're bullshit justifications after the fact for blowing the money on something they never needed.

Windows 7 and Vista don't care what fancy hardware your card has; all they use is the DAC's and mixer. So there's no longer a gaming advantage with a sound card either. That's why they're pushing audiophile sound quality in the marketing these days; it's the only (potential) reason left to buy one.

I use an external firewire mixer as my own "sound card" for recording audio projects (home studio, I play bass), but when I'm just surfing/gaming I use headphones on an external receiver/amp from the onboard sound (X58A-UD7), and I have no problem with it. I wouldn't ask the onboard to drive headphones directly. But drive self-amplified Logitech speakers? Sure, it's fine for that.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I noticed a big difference going from the soundcard that came with my rampage II back to the audigy platinum I had. the signal just goes from my computer to a little teac mini system (receiver/cd player and 2 bookshelf speakers) I got a million years ago. the breakout box my audigy has is great too, especially for driving headphones, I'm sure it's not as good as a dedicated headphone amp would be but it sounds good enough for me!
Old January 6, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardric View Post
If you can't hear anything particularly wrong with the onboard setup you have now, then keep it. It's good enough for most purposes.

These guys have good software for testing PC sound hardware: http://audio.rightmark.org
You could try testing your onboard with a loopback cable (line out to line in), then if you end up purchasing another card you could do the same and compare results to see how much benefit you REALLY got. Personally, I think most of the claims of X card sounding waaay better than the onboard are either instances where the onboard was seriously broken, or they're bullshit justifications after the fact for blowing the money on something they never needed.

Windows 7 and Vista don't care what fancy hardware your card has; all they use is the DAC's and mixer. So there's no longer a gaming advantage with a sound card either. That's why they're pushing audiophile sound quality in the marketing these days; it's the only (potential) reason left to buy one.

I use an external firewire mixer as my own "sound card" for recording audio projects (home studio, I play bass), but when I'm just surfing/gaming I use headphones on an external receiver/amp from the onboard sound (X58A-UD7), and I have no problem with it. I wouldn't ask the onboard to drive headphones directly. But drive self-amplified Logitech speakers? Sure, it's fine for that.
Actually there is and its called EAX. While a lot of games may not fully utilize it cards that do have a much broader range of noises than thosse which don,t
Old January 6, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

environmental audio extensions EAX

Creative MultiSpeaker Surround (CMSS) is part of the EAX...... dolby
Old January 6, 2012, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Depends, the sound is only as good as your DAC. Whenever you use digital out, it's the DAC in your powered speakers that's doing the conversion (better speakers = better sound). With analog out, it's your sound card (better sound card = better sound). However, if you have cheap speakers, anything will sound horrible. Here's my opinion.

Onboard > Digital Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
Onboard > Analog Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
Onboard > Digital Out > Good Speakers = Excellent
Onboard > Analog Out > Good Speakers = Good sound

High-end Discreet > Digital Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
High-end Discreet > Analog Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
High-end Discreet > Digital Out > Good Speakers = Excellent sound
High-end Discreet > Analog Out > Good Speakers = Excellent sound

Last edited by Zer0; January 6, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Depends, the sound is only as good as your DAC. Whenever you use digital out, it's your speakers that's doing the conversion (better speakers = better sound). With analog out, it's your sound card (better sound card = better sound). However, if you have cheap speakers, anything will sound horrible. Here's my opinion.

Onboard > Digital Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
Onboard > Analog Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
Onboard > Digital Out > Good Speakers = Excellent
Onboard > Analog Out > Good Speakers = Good sound

High-end Discreet > Digital Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
High-end Discreet > Analog Out > Cheap Speakers = Poor
High-end Discreet > Digital Out > Good Speakers = Excellent sound
High-end Discreet > Analog Out > Good Speakers = Excellent sound
Umm no.

Digital out is handled by the "receiver" and the speakers just let you hear it.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Umm no.

Digital out is handled by the "receiver" and the speakers just let you hear it.
in my case i feel it 15" bass bins
Old January 6, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
in my case i feel it 15" bass bins
i would rather have clarity and depth over bass