Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Question Need help with sound card + headset

Hey peeps, i wanted to know your opinions on some stuff. firstly i want to tell you that i really enjoy great sound quality by i dont know shitz about it specs and stuff that is surround 7.1 or 5 something...As for headsets i really REALLY need confort as i will be gaming alot. And here are the questions:
What sound card should i buy?
What headset should i buy?(i think i will buy the yet to be released Razer Tiamat 7.1, i have other razer products and i love them)
my budget total is 320 dollars
Old January 1, 2012, 10:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

*as for the sound card I could give you a hundred reasons to go with a good creative sound card. Links below
*as for the headset you got a lot of options but some of the top of the line stuff includes manufacturers like Sennheiser usa, Steelseries, Triton, and many more. See the links below
*for a total of 320 usd you are lucky and should be able to get a lot. Check out the links and names I mentioned and just ask about the technical things and I'll do my best to explain it all to you.
here is my few questions?
1)is surround sound important to you?
2)what all do you plan on using the headset for (just pc, xbox to? maybe mp3 player?)
3)keep in mind frequency response it means the world to an audio enthusiast (meaning at least 15hz-22000hz)

Sennheiser USA - Professional Headphones - Professional Headsets - DJ Headphones - Call Center Headsets - Professional Audio
ROCCAT STUDIOS V3.0 - PRODUCTS Gaming Sound ROCCAT Kave 5.1
Old January 2, 2012, 06:10 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundwire123 View Post
*as for the sound card I could give you a hundred reasons to go with a good creative sound card. Links below
*as for the headset you got a lot of options but some of the top of the line stuff includes manufacturers like Sennheiser usa, Steelseries, Triton, and many more. See the links below
*for a total of 320 usd you are lucky and should be able to get a lot. Check out the links and names I mentioned and just ask about the technical things and I'll do my best to explain it all to you.
here is my few questions?
1)is surround sound important to you?
2)what all do you plan on using the headset for (just pc, xbox to? maybe mp3 player?)
3)keep in mind frequency response it means the world to an audio enthusiast (meaning at least 15hz-22000hz)

Sennheiser USA - Professional Headphones - Professional Headsets - DJ Headphones - Call Center Headsets - Professional Audio
ROCCAT STUDIOS V3.0 - PRODUCTS Gaming Sound ROCCAT Kave 5.1
1- i dont even understand what surround is(but i really like great sound quality)
2- I will be using it mainly for PC Gaming
3- what is response frequency
I really appreciate your help
Old January 2, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great ImageFap Troll
1- i dont even understand what surround is(but i really like great sound quality)
2- I will be using it mainly for PC Gaming
3- what is response frequency
I really appreciate your help
1)a sound field a clock of sound position to head
say your setting in chair and 12:00 is center spkr @ 10:00, 2:00 are front, 9:00, 3:00 are side spkr,
7:00, 5:00 are rear spkr and the .1 is the sub woofer for booms of explosions

2) well every ear has its own taste, best go to computer shop that has demo's

3)response frequency? is how close to the originale sound being amplified through device
Old January 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Auzentech, Inc. Sound Cards. Audio You Can Believe In. World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

Best sound card I have ever owned. Auzentech Prelude.

It sounds as good today as the day I bought it.... that can't be said for the 4 or 5 creative sound cards I have owned in the past. All of which sounded like shit in under a year.

It's around 200 bux for one of their top shelf cards which leaves you with around 120 for headphones. Not horrible but not great either. You'll want to get headphones with soft ear covers NOT LEATHER. Leather you will sweat so that should help you cut the list down quickly. I like Sennheisers but most of them don't have soft velvet ear covers.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

you may not understand the technical side of things right now, but you got to become familiar a little bit if your going to make a good choice on what you eventually go with. Good explination "captcrunch" on surround sound concept. I think of it this way: your ears have an amazing sense of where sound is coming from. Surround sound, frequency bandwidth (aka response that I spoke of above) and many other features of each sound driver (speakers) determine how closely it can match your human hearing. If your drooling for good sound in what ever you buy, start google'n the terms spoken of here cause you need to get familiar with them.

but in short:
the more surround, (5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and even 8.1 and 9.1) the better. Though for pc 5.1 true surround is the highest you going to find.
for frequency response your looking for bandwidth. The lower the first number, the better. The higher the second number, the better.
for example, 15hz-22000hz is better than 25hz-20000hz. You really want at least 15hz to 22khz (khz is same as 22000hz)

I've been an audio enthusiast for sometime and would never settle for anything less than excellent!
Old January 3, 2012, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

I'll chime in with a factor that may be important- I wish I planned for it as well. I have relatively new Corsair HSA1s and new SP2500s. Very pleased with the comfort and sound of those headphones over long periods of gaming BTW. Before that I bought a solid ASUS soundcard. No complaints there.

But, but. I use my headphones with MIC for most of my online play and despite refreshing all these thing recently I still have to reach back and change my speakers/headphones almost daily and its irritating with an overall happy desk setup. The SP2500s have a controller for volume with a headphone input but the mic has to connect at the back and the split is not wide enough so I will have to find some acceptable extension. If you use both like it sounds like you do, consider dual inputs if there is a reasonable option.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Thanks for the help every1 i think im going to go with the asus xonar d2x, from what i read it is one of the best soundcards on the market. the only question i have know is wich headset to choose, its far more hard to choose a headset than sound cards. Im intereted in the razer tiamat 7.1, the razer megalodon, or the logitech g930.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I own a Auzentech Forte. Great sound card with built in amp.
I also own Audio Technica's AtH -AD700 (these are the go to headphonse for FPS gaming). These are extremely comfortable, excellent range, excellent sound stage for gaming, just a little lacking in bass. I find if I set my Forte to +12 DB and cut off at 30mhz they are really good.

The Forte lets you hook up both 2/2.1/5.1/7.1 and headphones simultaneously, so you dont need to be switching jack all the time. Just make sure to go into both the Auzentech and Creative labs control panels and disable the auto headphone switching.

EDIT:
The creative cards using a 3D simulation called CMSS-3D. To me, I find you get better 3d position results with the 3D simulation paired with good headphones than you get with a 5.1 set.

check out the demos on this page. It give you a good idea of the "in-game" 3D simulation the card provides.
Sound Blaster - X-Fi CMSS-3D

The only complaint about headphones vs gaming headset is there is no mic, I personally installed one on of my own. It was a bit of a PITA and would suggest just buy a clip on mic like this one.
Mini Clip-on Microphone - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Last edited by Addictedtokaos; January 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

+1. I have the exact same combination and love it.
Closed Thread

Tags
headset , high budget , sound card