Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Forte. It's a better sounding card than my Xonar DX was. I'd recommend it, but get Daniel_k's modded X-fi drivers. I couldn't adjust my speaker levels individually without the modded driver. I do like that I can have my speakers and headphones plugged into the back at the same time (couldn't with the Xonar).
Old January 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

No love for HT Omega here, I guess? I personally adore my Claro Halo XT I bought used here. Such a jump in quality over my Xonar DX.
Old January 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
no use beating a dead horse.... enduser is being robbed by companys with marketing BS.
(just send my royalties pay for chunk of broken silicon)
Rant off OT

yes use a amp to backup onboard sound for most are just a pre-amp

real sound RP-U200 receiver is one way but up to own ears to decide on quality of amp
Old January 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Kapt.. I gaurantee if you do the same search for any Asus or Creative card you'll find THOUSANDS of forum posts going back 10 years in creative's case. Asus doesn't give two shits about the customer and neither does creative. Having dealt with both companies in the past. Creative email support turned into a swear fest until I got a response other than an automatic reply. And the asus card simply went back to the store. The one constant with every single piece of computer hardware on this planet. The End User. Don't misunderstand me Kapt I like you dude... but you're wrong on this one. Auzentech's ONLY link to creative is the XFI chip and that is where it ends.

To the OP I would probably go with the Forte and two of the main reasons why:
--Headphone & Microphone Amplifiers: X-Fi Forte includes an Integrated Headphone Amplifier and Microphone Pre-Amplifier. You can now listen to your Hi-Fi Headphone and use your professional Mic on your desktop PC, as well as enjoying audiophile-quality audio.
-- PCI-e 1x. Most people have these on their mobo's but never use them. You can stick these in ANY pci-e port on your mobo it doesnt matter. Thus future proofing yourself on the next computer build. PCI slots will be a thing of the past before long.

Surprisingly not all sound cards out there have Amplifiers and let me tell you... some games absolutely need this.

In any case it's up to you... I am giving you the best advice I can based on owning cards from each company.
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories
As for the pci-e 1x port i really couldnt care less, because both my current rig(msi big bang xpower) and my future rig(msi big bang xpower II) dont have 1x slots. I already choose my headset, i now only need a sound card(the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium HD PCI-E Sound Card seems nice)
Old January 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

doesnt matter if they don't have 1x slots.. use the 8x slot you aren't using. Or find a prelude card it's pci
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
doesnt matter if they don't have 1x slots.. use the 8x slot you aren't using. Or find a prelude card it's pci
Yeah i know that, what im saying is that i wouldnt prefer a sound card just because of the 1x slot
Closed Thread

Tags
headset , high budget , sound card