Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Need speaker for TV.... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/49918-need-speaker-tv.html)

Alpine December 31, 2011 07:09 AM

Need speaker for TV....

I need speaker for my TV and i need recommandation please.

I cannot decide between thoses...

Altec Lansing Octane 7 VS4621 2.1 Speaker System 2X7.5W 13W sub Black - Altec Lansing - VS4621

or

Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2200 2.1 46W RMS 6IN Subwoofer PC Speaker System - Corsair - CA-SP212NA

Or i simply use my Corsair SP2500 that i already have and buy new speaker for my PC ??

Happy new year to everyone

enaberif December 31, 2011 07:24 AM

Corsair for sure!

KaptCrunch December 31, 2011 08:09 AM

HT amp with HDMI switching

your choice too small for real full sound

chrisk December 31, 2011 08:19 AM

I tried PC speakers for my TV last year but was disappointed. I connected the speakers via optical and when I did, there was no way to control the volume (the TV did not control the volume via optical). There was also no IR remote so I would have had to get off the couch to do the volume. I think these speakers are not optical so it may work differently for you but just something to keep in mind. If the speakers had an IR remote I might have been able to get the Harmony remote to control them, but the 'remote' was wired on the speakers.

I ended up getting a Yamaha Sound Bar this Xmas (YAS-101 - Sound Bar / Digital Sound Projector - Home Theater Systems - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States .. got it for $200 Boxinf Day sale...could be out of your price range).

This one is on sale for less than half price, if its possible for you to swing it ($120 instead of $250):
Philips Sound Bar (HSB2313A) : Soundbars - Best Buy Canada

The only thing about a sound bar is that you need to be careful not to block your TV's IR remote sensor so you don't block the remote signals (the Yamaha I bought actually passes the remote commands through to the back which was pretty neat).

howpet December 31, 2011 08:33 AM

I"m sure audiophiles won"t be to impressed with this but it might be just what you need. Stock level is showing 1 instock Laval store.
Canada Computers | Home Theatre & TV | LG 1100W 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System (TS913SS)

or maybe this
Genius SP-HF2020 Digital 4-WAY HI-FI Wood Speaker - GENIUS - GNSK02SPHF2020
I checked on shipping..$10 express
You can always add a small amp or avr later if tv won"t power them properly.
Read the first review from Thinkcomputers....9/10

JD December 31, 2011 12:27 PM

While computer speakers will work, it's best not to use them for a TV, unless you sit abnormally close to your TV (like you would with a computer/monitor).

Definitely go with a soundbar (I'd personally opt for one with a standalone subwoofer) or a 5.1 HTiB setup. Obviously going to cost you more, but the audio field on these will be much wider so it will be able to properly fill the room with sound.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest either of these:
Yamaha 600-Watt Home Theatre System (YHT196) : Blu-ray/DVD All-In-One Systems - Best Buy Canada
Denon 650 Watts 5-Channels HDMI Home Theatre Receiver (DHT-1312BA) : Receiver-Based All-In-One Systems - Best Buy Canada

At least they use full-size receivers so it's easy to interchange parts in the future.

Alpine December 31, 2011 02:42 PM

Hello, and thank you all for your suggestions.
I have some constraints.

I can not take a 5.1 system. Too expensive for my budget, my wife will yelling at me and beat me because of the sound too loud. My neighbors also, since I'm in a semi-detached cottage.

I admit that the soundbar seems very interresting.

Thank you very much to all of you.

happy New Year

lcdguy January 1, 2012 08:08 AM

in that case the soundbar is probably the best solution as it meets most if not all of your requirements. However there is no replacement for seperate discrete speakers for each channel in a multi channel configuration.