Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2011, 06:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Onboard Realtek SPDIF w/X-Fi SoftMod -> DAC for Gaming?

Just like topic says.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my Mini-ITX rig with a Z68 board (have the ASROCK Z68M-ITX on order, for the SECOND time), and am looking at my options for audio.

Coming from a modded X-Fi XtremeMusic, it will be a tough adjustment back to onboard. The X-Fi HD USB is on sale for cheap, but I understand it lacks the X-Fi hardware acceleration and everything is done through software. I'm thinking if it's just a glorified DAC with a cheap amp, why not try something different?

There are some X-Fi drivers that have been modified for use on Realtek codecs: Realtek/Soundmax Modds + SB X-fi MB 1.2

Has anybody experimented with something like this?

ALC892 w/X-Fi soft-mod drivers -> Optical out -> DAC/headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD555

This way we get some of the CMSS3D goodness for gaming, plus the sound quality from a discrete DAC/amp. BTW if some of you cringed when I mentioned CMSS3D, I actually found it more accurate than setting my audio to 2.0 when playing CSS.
Old December 21, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

alc889 with stock realtek drivers via fiber to yamaha RX-V1900 with its dsp i can choose sound format dolby 7.1, neo, dts

with HDMI is auto on moniter