Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   whats a good alla around soundcard? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/4917-whats-good-alla-around-soundcard.html)

Shadowmeph March 5, 2008 07:55 PM

whats a good alla around soundcard?
 
all I am waiting for is my 3870 vidcard and I can fire this baby up I have onboard sound on my ga p35 ds3l MB but I have always preferred a sound card not sure why but I just do what are some sugestions for a decent sound card say 60% Movie watching and the other 40%gaming I have looked around but haven't really found any all around cards

djnocide March 5, 2008 07:57 PM

which OS do you use?

Shadowmeph March 5, 2008 08:49 PM

not sure which windows ( Definitely not Vista) and Linux

Empty_Quarter March 5, 2008 09:04 PM

What is your budget?

enaberif March 5, 2008 10:21 PM

auzentech xplosion or ht omega striker.

Flintblade March 6, 2008 12:10 AM

Prelude is the best, but that's $169.99

low351 March 6, 2008 09:21 AM

The problem with installing a discrete sound card is that you usually loose your front panel I/O. Make sure you get a card that has a HD audio header for that like the Creative X-Fi.

In fact I'd recommend it if you have the PCI-X 1x available for it.

PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio SB1040EF - Sound Blaster - Your Movies and Music. Way Better

It's only going to set you back about $55 shipped air from directcanada...

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI-E X1 OEM - DirectCanada

I'm sure you'll get some arguments from the bleeding edge purists here but I'm more of a practical application type of guy and if you think about it, what sound cards will be tested in the next gen games? I would say integrated (realtek) then Creative then a grab bag of the others. So Creative is a safe bet.

lcdguy March 6, 2008 09:42 AM

defintely get something from creative or the X-mystique as the x-meridian doesn't work all that well in linux.

Shadowmeph March 6, 2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low351 (Post 44439)
The problem with installing a discrete sound card is that you usually loose your front panel I/O. Make sure you get a card that has a HD audio header for that like the Creative X-Fi.

In fact I'd recommend it if you have the PCI-X 1x available for it.

PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio SB1040EF - Sound Blaster - Your Movies and Music. Way Better

It's only going to set you back about $55 shipped air from directcanada...

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI-E X1 OEM - DirectCanada

I'm sure you'll get some arguments from the bleeding edge purists here but I'm more of a practical application type of guy and if you think about it, what sound cards will be tested in the next gen games? I would say integrated (realtek) then Creative then a grab bag of the others. So Creative is a safe bet.

what is
Quote:

HD audio header
?

Robscix March 11, 2008 04:30 PM

What is your budget?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 PM.