Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   AV40 vs AudioEngine A2 vs KRK Rokit 6 G2- or any other powered monitors (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/49154-av40-vs-audioengine-a2-vs-krk-rokit-6-g2-any-other-powered-monitors.html)

bigFOIG December 6, 2011 12:11 PM

AV40 vs AudioEngine A2 vs KRK Rokit 6 G2- or any other powered monitors

Does anyone have any experience with these powered monitors? How do they sound? And which one do you prefer? I've only had the chance to hear the A2's for a minute and I thought they sounded really good. AV40's are supposedly good for the price, but how good are they compared to the others? And KRK... well they're really expensive, but I want to know if they're worth the extra money compared to other monitors.

Or maybe any other powered monitors suggestions?

Nodscene December 6, 2011 07:04 PM

I've only had a chance to listen to the KRK's (on your list) and wasnt overly impressed considering the price. Obviously sound is hugely personal so it's hard to make recommendations. That being said my favourite monitors that I've heard (out of ones I considered buying and could afford at the time) was the Alesis M1Active MKII. If it makes any difference I first heard them at school when taking Audio Recording and Engineering at TARA in Toronto. I bought mine at Long & McQuade about 5 years ago (for around $300-400) and still use them as my main speakers for my computer. No matter what you end up with it will blow away any "computer speakers".

martin_metal_88 December 6, 2011 07:21 PM

I am using AV-30 and they are awesome. So I assume AV-40 are only better and a bit bigger. Definatly recomend them but since I haven't tested the 2 other myself it's only my opinion. But, they are awesome :P

neojjjk December 7, 2011 10:16 AM

you can buy av30 for 89.99$
did you check yamaha hs50 m ?

bigFOIG December 7, 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 577108)
I am using AV-30 and they are awesome. So I assume AV-40 are only better and a bit bigger. Definatly recomend them but since I haven't tested the 2 other myself it's only my opinion. But, they are awesome :P

How's the bass on those things? I'm leaning towards the AV40's right now as they seem to be the best bang for the buck. But I really like my music... don't know if it'll be... enough for my standards... :haha:

martin_metal_88 December 7, 2011 02:00 PM

Well the bass on the AV30 is very well balanced. Listening at a lot of classic and it's deep enough. Sure it's not as good as some Bower's and wilkins or other system with big sub's but for studio monitor it's definitely With the bass boost ( in windows ) or a decent sound card you can achieve very good deep bass.

jmassive December 15, 2011 06:07 PM

I actually wanted the KRKs as well but like you said, they can get pretty expensive. Have you looked into the BX5As?

birthdaymonkey January 8, 2012 09:24 PM

I know I'm kinda late weighing in here, but I just got a pair of AV40s, so I thought I would give my opinion.

The problem is that they emit a quiet low frequency hum that never goes away, even when they're unplugged from the computer. This sound isn't serious enough to bother a lot of people, but I'm already looking for a convenient way of switching to something else (kind of a quiet computing guy).

Other than the hum, however, they sound great.

bigFOIG January 8, 2012 11:38 PM

Better late than never. If that's a problem with all of the av40's, then it's a dealbreaker for me. That would bug the crap out of me for sure, as I like silence as well.

Realityshift January 8, 2012 11:51 PM

Ive got a set of AV40s and no hum here, even if left on full volume. Im really happy with the way they perform though, they handle everything I listen too (trance/rock/classical/dubstep/ambient) without any issues and sound great with games and movies.