Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these powered monitors? How do they sound? And which one do you prefer?
I had some Klipsch 4.1's for a long time, then went w/ headphones for awhile. Sometime last month, I got the kick for a decent set of speakers that wouldn't eat up lots of space...like the A2's. At first, I balked @ the price and grabbed some Creative T40 Series II's for 1/2 the cost. They sucked. Swapped em out for the AV40's and those were MUCH better. But there's a definite mid bass bump to compensate for their lack of low end extension. They just don't go low...not enough to feel anyway. It really bothered me in movies. I knew there were missing something. It was like a tease.

So after much research, I found myself @ Guitar Center auditioning the KRK Rokit RP5's and 6's. While listening to Derezzed off the Tron soundtrack, it became quite clear the 6's were the way to go. When the bass line hit again in the middle, the 5's sort of lost the rest of the track. The 6's kept the low end, hit deeper, and the other nuances of the song remained intact. They had a larger sweet spot and bass I could feel.

I had considered the Swan M50w's and the M200 MKII's as well, but from the hours and hours of research, I did, the KRK's seemed to be preferred the most. I have now had them for almost 3 weeks and they're on some Auralex Mopads that kick it up a notch for only $30 bucks. They also aim the speakers down to me (or they can be aimed up, cool foam stuff!).

I use my keyboard's vol up/dn keys to control the level and have them both plugged into a surge protector that's easy to switch on/off w/ my feet. They have exceeded my expectations and I look forward to listening to them every day. Guitar Center has them on sale from time to time. They were a bit more than I originally intended to spend, but I've never heard such accurate and immersive sound before. These are by far my biggest jump into the audio world, I'm a relative noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I've only had a chance to listen to the KRK's (on your list) and wasnt overly impressed considering the price. Obviously sound is hugely personal so it's hard to make recommendations. That being said my favourite monitors that I've heard (out of ones I considered buying and could afford at the time) was the Alesis M1Active MKII.
Haha, it is, isn't it? I got curious and googled them. Found this in the reviews @ B&H...

This fella has the exact opposite opinion of yours. Here's a thread on gearslutz.com where another fella says the "rokit is a terrible choice." There's also a couple nasty reviews on Amazon about the Rokit's...5 or 6, can't remember. Overall, I would say they're incredibly accurate. And this seems to put me into a daze when listening to them. Previous to this I would spend my ear time on some Sennheiser HD580's w/ a Little Dot MKIII tube amp. Those only get used for competitive gaming and super late night music listening. But I just sort of do it out of spite I need to find me something equivalent to the KRK's for my ears.

Those Alesis look pretty sweet though and I think I saw them for $200. Hours and hours of research and I don't ever remember those, lol. It just goes to show how many monitors are out there. I did see a pair of Yamaha 8 inch studio's w/ a white cone that seemed to get REALLY good reviews. They went for about $600 a pair and looked like they needed their own desk, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
How's the bass on those things? I'm leaning towards the AV40's right now as they seem to be the best bang for the buck. But I really like my music... don't know if it'll be... enough for my standards...
The AV40's sound great, but the 4 inch driver and smaller box has too many limits. But they can be had for $100. My advice would be to try them and see how you like em. I don't know if you have any stores you can audition them in, but at least buy from a store w/ a solid return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmassive View Post
I actually wanted the KRKs as well but like you said, they can get pretty expensive. Have you looked into the BX5As?
Guitar Center has both of these if you guys have them up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdaymonkey View Post
Other than the hum, however, they sound great.
I never got the hum. But my Rokit's don't get along well w/ my HTC Thunderbolt. At first I thought there was something wrong w/ the right speaker, then I moved my phone over and it went away. They are very sensitive. I had to use cheater 3 to 2 plugs to get rid of the ground loop problem. It was the same w/ the Little Dot MKIII. Old apartment's probably partly to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Ive got a set of AV40s and no hum here, even if left on full volume. Im really happy with the way they perform though, they handle everything I listen too (trance/rock/classical/dubstep/ambient) without any issues and sound great with games and movies.
And you have all that desk space available to you. One power button located on the same speaker as a VOLUME KNOB IN THE FRONT, and IMO, some pretty sweet looking speakers.

Really, I think the only thing you can really do wrong here's Creative T40 Series II. I don't know, maybe they need burn in. But for the same price as the AV40's...well...
Old March 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
Allstar

There is also a new option on the market that I'd love to audition if I had the coin. The Airmotiv line of powered monitors from Emotiva (I own their UPA7 power amp and their UMC1 and can't say enough about them) are getting great reviews and have a 30 day money back guarantee. Unfortunately in Canada we have to pay shipping both ways but they are a great company and I think it would be worth checking out.
Emotiva Professional, LLC

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
I had some Klipsch 4.1's for a long time, then went w/ headphones for awhile. Sometime last month, I got the kick for a decent set of speakers that wouldn't eat up lots of space...like the A2's. At first, I balked @ the price and grabbed some Creative T40 Series II's for 1/2 the cost. They sucked. Swapped em out for the AV40's and those were MUCH better. But there's a definite mid bass bump to compensate for their lack of low end extension. They just don't go low...not enough to feel anyway. It really bothered me in movies. I knew there were missing something. It was like a tease.

So after much research, I found myself @ Guitar Center auditioning the KRK Rokit RP5's and 6's. While listening to Derezzed off the Tron soundtrack, it became quite clear the 6's were the way to go. When the bass line hit again in the middle, the 5's sort of lost the rest of the track. The 6's kept the low end, hit deeper, and the other nuances of the song remained intact. They had a larger sweet spot and bass I could feel.

I had considered the Swan M50w's and the M200 MKII's as well, but from the hours and hours of research, I did, the KRK's seemed to be preferred the most. I have now had them for almost 3 weeks and they're on some Auralex Mopads that kick it up a notch for only $30 bucks. They also aim the speakers down to me (or they can be aimed up, cool foam stuff!).

I use my keyboard's vol up/dn keys to control the level and have them both plugged into a surge protector that's easy to switch on/off w/ my feet. They have exceeded my expectations and I look forward to listening to them every day. Guitar Center has them on sale from time to time. They were a bit more than I originally intended to spend, but I've never heard such accurate and immersive sound before. These are by far my biggest jump into the audio world, I'm a relative noob.

Haha, it is, isn't it? I got curious and googled them. Found this in the reviews @ B&H...

This fella has the exact opposite opinion of yours. Here's a thread on gearslutz.com where another fella says the "rokit is a terrible choice." There's also a couple nasty reviews on Amazon about the Rokit's...5 or 6, can't remember. Overall, I would say they're incredibly accurate. And this seems to put me into a daze when listening to them. Previous to this I would spend my ear time on some Sennheiser HD580's w/ a Little Dot MKIII tube amp. Those only get used for competitive gaming and super late night music listening. But I just sort of do it out of spite I need to find me something equivalent to the KRK's for my ears.

Those Alesis look pretty sweet though and I think I saw them for $200. Hours and hours of research and I don't ever remember those, lol. It just goes to show how many monitors are out there. I did see a pair of Yamaha 8 inch studio's w/ a white cone that seemed to get REALLY good reviews. They went for about $600 a pair and looked like they needed their own desk, haha!

The AV40's sound great, but the 4 inch driver and smaller box has too many limits. But they can be had for $100. My advice would be to try them and see how you like em. I don't know if you have any stores you can audition them in, but at least buy from a store w/ a solid return policy.

Guitar Center has both of these if you guys have them up there.

I never got the hum. But my Rokit's don't get along well w/ my HTC Thunderbolt. At first I thought there was something wrong w/ the right speaker, then I moved my phone over and it went away. They are very sensitive. I had to use cheater 3 to 2 plugs to get rid of the ground loop problem. It was the same w/ the Little Dot MKIII. Old apartment's probably partly to blame.

And you have all that desk space available to you. One power button located on the same speaker as a VOLUME KNOB IN THE FRONT, and IMO, some pretty sweet looking speakers.

Really, I think the only thing you can really do wrong here's Creative T40 Series II. I don't know, maybe they need burn in. But for the same price as the AV40's...well...
Wow... thanks for the detailed reply. Helps a lot. I think I'm just gonna wait for cheap Rokit 6's on craigslist.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:56 PM
Rookie

Q701s are impressing me right now. Very detailed with a massive soundstage. 580s and 770s have been hiding things from me. ;) I would compare them to the Rokits as far as analytical. I dig that tho.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Trial Member

Default my 2cents

i just registered to put my bit in.

I have got the av40's and the krk5's

the krk's a very dry in the upper range and no matter the tweaking do not sound natural and warm ( have had them for over half a year so had plenty of burn in ).

the av40's tweeters are lovely warm and pleasant with no fatiguing unlike the krks witch do.

the humming is only heard when your close and put your ear to the speaker with the av40's and is not a problem for me.

the krk's have a louder slight static sound coming from the tweeter when not receiving a signal and also hum with nothing plugged into them. also i think the krks have a quality control problem as I have had to send one speaker back as the amp was louder and hummed a lot more then the other one.

Overall the av40's are a lot more pleasant to listen to with music due to the warm sounding tweeters.

I use X-Fi Titanium HD and poppule PCM1796 dac so I have chopped and changed and the same conclusion came from both.
Old March 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
Rookie

We all hear differently! I prefer the detail over the warmth...probably why I like the Rokits/Q701 over the AV40/HD580.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It's been over a year since I started this thread and I've never bought any speakers. Wasn't in a rush because what I had was not bad, and I wanted to be sure of what I wanted. I finally ordered a set of Rokit 6 G2's on Amazon. Limited Edition Blue! For $282 shipped. :) I'll let you guys know what I think when I get them.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm using a few Audio Engine products for my main setup and I have zero complaints / full satisfaction with the products. unfortunately I can't offer a comparison, just some piece of mind for one of the options.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
Top Prospect

I have AV40 and the lower bass is a little lacking mentioned by one of the previous post. It used to have an optional subwoofer which seems to be discontinued. *sadface*

Overall though, sound is very detailed from low to high. I couldn't ask more from these considering the price I paid for.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:48 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Finally got my Rokit 6 G2's... major buzzing and interference. I can hear some random radio station in the speakers in the background LOL. That being said, I know what the problem is. I'm using the cheapest of the cheapest of the cheapest cables right now. Just ordered some gold plated TRS cables, and in theory, the problem will be solved. If not, then I'll move on to the electrical. Just thought I'd hook them up with cables that I already have just to see if they work.