Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default BT headphones w/ replaceable battery

I hope I put this in the right section. If not please move.
_______

I prefer bluetooth for wireless peripherals like keyboards, mice and headphones because a single transceiver can operate up to 7 self-powered devices simultaneously (saving battery power on my books and USB ports on my desktop systems) and because I hate dongles (my books all have onboard BT).

Especially important are BT headphones since most books have extremely low-powered audio amplifiers and the much more powerful amps in BT headphones are sometimes necessary to make poorly ripped movies audible.
______

At home I use an old set of Creative CB2530 headphones which use standard AAA rechargeable batteries which are easily replaced when they wear out. Also, multiple sets of spare recharged batteries can be carried for long periods of use. They're comfortable and have good enough sound for my old ears but they don't fold up and are too bulky to be practical as netbook headphones. Also they are no longer available so I don't want to risk the one set I have by taking them on the road.

For a few years I used Logitech Freepulse BT headphones with my books and was delighted at first with their size, weight, durability and performance. They connected easily to all my internal BT transceivers and even included their own transceivers so that I could use two pairs simultaneously through a Y-adapter in the headphone jack.

The only problem was the batteries. You could only get 6-7 hours per charge when brand new and it declined from there. They took hours to recharge and slowly discharged when not in use. Swapping in fully-charged spare batteries was not an option. Eventually they became unusable after many recharges.
_____

Does anyone here know of foldable/portable bluetooth headphones with user-replaceable batteries. I don't need a microphone but will tolerate one if it's built in and doesn't stick out as a mouthpiece.

I'd prefer a set that uses standard AAA batteries but I'd accept a set that uses a replaceable lithium-ion battery such as is used in cellphones. I just want to be able to swap in fully-charged batteries without waiting to recharge.

Can anyone help? Thanx in advance.