Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
Top Prospect

Exclamation help

Hi All. I just purchased a new rig about a month ago and am now trying to find the best way to get surround sound out of a pair of headphones? I just dropped over 130.00 dollars Canadian on a pair of turtle beach X12 headphones and am using the Ear force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor. I have the DSS hooked up to my Computer Via Optical for sound and USB for the power it needs.
Xbox 360 Gaming Headset | Ear Force X12 | Turtle Beach
So as you can see they hype it up! Anyways, I really feel like these are not good enough?
First off, When using your PC for sound I am basically relying on the on board sound card from my MOBO right? So would buying a 50 dollar sound card that is THX certified really make any difference over my on board sound which is supposed to be pretty good anyway? Or do I need to step up to the 150 dollar Sound card range to see any improvement over my On board sound?
Next, Should I be using the optical for sound or is the USB better for surround? I know when I hook up my PC to my AMP Via Optical and crank up my 5.1 surround setup it sounds great. But something seems to be missing by going with these "Surround Sound Gaming Headphones"
I am wondering what I should do? I can try and sell my Current headphones and DSS and look for a pair of better surround gaming headphones, but then do I look for a set of head phones that rely on a seperate digital amp like the DSS that came with the DX12's? Or do I just use my Home amp for the surround sound and just look for a pair of good Surround headphones?
I know I am asking alot in a post, But I need the best advice I can get. And this site has always helped when I needed it.
Should I be looking for a surround headphone set that comes with the digital amp with the head set? Or should I be relying on my House amp with optical cable hooked to PC to make the sound?
Then, The all important question. Which set of headphones to get. I have been looking around and see diff types of surround headsets. Some have three to four separate speakers in each left and right side. And can anyone recommend me a good set for around 100-150 dollars? Or is that not even enough? I don't care about them being wireless or not. I think I would get better sound out of a wired set right?
Thanx to all who read this whole post, And to anyone that gives some advice.
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old November 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Buying a "good" sound card WILL make a difference. You don't need one that is THX certified to be consided good. A $50.00 sound card is on the edge of being in the "good" catagory. $70.00 and up will serve you well. As far as headphones go,the choices are myriad. I much prefer analog 5.1 surround headphones. USB,dolby digital etc. provide a "Virtual" or "Simulated" surround. 5.1 analog is a true surround,and the only way to go,in my opinion. I base that opinion on the 5.1 analog cans I have now or have had recently. In the $100.00 to $150.00 range I have, or had,Roccat Kave,Tritton AX Pro 51,Tritton PC 510 HDa,Turtle Beach HPA2,and the CM Storm Sirus 5.1. The CM Sirus headphones can be connected two different ways, either by USB or analog,which is kind of a neat feature. At the higher price range,is Psyko. Psyko is a totally different beast than others I have mentioned. All other 5.1 analog headphones have 3 or 4 drivers in each ear cup. Psyko has 5 drivers placed in the Headband. similar in placement to your 5.1 desk top speakers. I have the new Carbon series that I use pretty much every day. Every day I'm gaming,that is. Psyko also has a lesser priced Krypton series that sell for less than $150.00. The Carbon series go for about $180.00. Understand,I'm no expert,I just know what sounds best when gaming. Psyko allows the BEST positional and surround sound awareness of ANY set I have ever tried. It's all in the design,which has been patented by Psyko. All that being said,there is yet another set on the horizon from Razer. The new Razer Tiamat 7.1 analog headset is due for release any day now. What got my attention with this set is,that they are analog. If you don't have a 7.1 sound card,5.1 works just as it should. I think they will go for a little over $100.00. I'm going to buy a set as soon as they hit the market. What ever you end up doing,let us know. Good Luck!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey bushwickbill,did you see the post from JJThomps? Psyko Kryptons at Psyko Audio for $80.00. Now THAT'S a deal!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5