Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2011, 03:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New headset & Sound card

I need a new headset because my G35 is worn-out and its my 3e I get from logitech all with the same hardware fault.

I've been looking around and I think i will get the new Corsair Vengeance 1300 and an Asus Xonar D2X/XDT.
I don't know allot from audio, but I want really good gaming audio en mic, for music and movies I will still use my G35(Nice bass :p)
I want to pay much for this but not over 300euro (I'm from Belgium).
I've seen some topic's here which recommend the Asus Xonar DX, but I what to pay more for better audio.
I can get the Corsair Vengeance 1300 around 60-65 euro's and the Asus Xonar D2X/XDT at 135-140euro's.

Maarten200(first time on Hardware Canuckes)

PS. Sorry for my bad English. I speak Dutch, don't get English at school and I have dyslexia.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the forums. And your English is fine.

I normally recommend the Xonar DX because it's more of an entry priced card, but the D2X is a better card. I haven't heard the Vengeance 1300's yet so I won't comment on those, but if you are willing to spend more you should look at audio headsets with a separate mic. I use AudioTechnica's with a Zalman ZM-1 clip-on mic myself.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't recommend you spend more on your sound card than on your headphones, the Xonar D2X is a high end sound card, and with those headphones you probably won't notice the sound difference compared to the DX.

I'd say get the xonar DX which is a great card for the price. It will pair with those headphones nicely. Maybe use the money saved vs the D2 and get some better headphones. Like sugarJ said, get a clip on mic to open up your headphone options to something of audiophile quality.

Keep in mind your logitech G35 uses USB, which will not work with a sound card, USB uses onboard audio sadly.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
USB uses onboard audio sadly.
USB actually use their own DACs and do not associate themselves with any onboard DACs. The digital signal is patched straight out of the USB cable, and the DAC circuitry is usually in the remote/pod.

A xonar DX is enough for MOST people's needs and will drive most consumer headphones easily. I wouldn't buy the Vengeance 1300 just because it's the "same" as the HS1A which sounds MEH at best.

Although in your case I can't recommend the AD700s since you like bass...maybe a pair of beyerdynamic DT770s 80ohm.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Another good set, Shure 750DJ..They have some good bass behind them. Paired with a Dynex tower Mic, and it is a great set up that doesn't break the bank.
Not sure about EU pricing, but they can be had for around $150can
Also have to agree with the Asus DX, great cards for there price point

PS Jack knows a whole hell of a lot more then I ever will about good audio setups.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Another good set, Shure 750DJ..They have some good bass behind them. Paired with a Dynex tower Mic, and it is a great set up that doesn't break the bank.
Not sure about EU pricing, but they can be had for around $150can
Also have to agree with the Asus DX, great cards for there price point

PS Jack knows a whole hell of a lot more then I ever will about good audio setups.
Thanks, but I find that most of the community here have way more experience with the above mentioned setups than I do.

The SRH750DJ is a great set of cans. At Futureshop the employee price is about 80$ the last time I worked there. Just look for them around that price, maybe +20$ ish would be reasonable. They sound great but are kind of uncomfortable for long term wear.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Tanks for all your reply's :)

the most imported thing its need to do is let me hear where the footsteps and so on in FPS games(BF3) are coming from.
Bass is nice, but not required, if I want bass, I will use my G35.

I've looked around further whit the advise from here. The SRH750DJ are around 130euro's in the EU
but I come across another headset the Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, its 150euro's here in the EU.
anyone some experience where those or with Sennheiser?
Old November 9, 2011, 06:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have personally game with the SRH750DJ, I haven't used the PC360's
Without trying the 360's I can't comment on there sound quality directly. The main difference is that they are open air. This "should" give them a larger sound stage, with less bass. They appear to rock the same ear cups as the PC-350's Which will give them a huge advantage if comfort is more important then sound quality. They also decided not to go the route of the PC-350's and have 150Ohm impedance which is a wee bit high to push with out a headphone amp. They are still @ 80Ohmn though. If you game in a noisy environment, or there is others in the area that don't want to hear what you are hearing, I would consider the PC-350's over the PC-360's.
SRH750DJ's, have great sound for there price, I couldn't recommend them enough at the price point. However I focus more on sound replication then just being able to hear foot steps in a game. That being said, you need to break in the ear cups through many...many hours of listening time before they break in for long periods of use, I have been using mine for over a year now, and I still find myself having to take them off the ears after a few hours of use.