Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2011, 05:08 PM
Rookie

Default Need High Quality Headworn Microphone for Podcasting

Looking for a high quality headworm microphone for podcasting. My budget is between $100-200. I'm looking for something that fits under a pair of headphones, and has a 3.5mm mic input cable, or can be modded to use one. I'll also be using the mic for gaming, so keep that in mind when making suggestions.

I'll be using a AuzenTech X-FI Hometheater HD or ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, which I'll be buying today.

Last edited by El Topo; October 30, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With that budget, why not just buy a high end gaming headset?

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old October 30, 2011, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Most of them are overpriced, and a lot of them suck. Other than Beyerdynamic MMX 300 and the Sennheiser PC360 G4ME. Both of these can't really be used for movies or music listening. I'd rather go with a Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm for $250 and a good headworn mic for a better overall experience.
Old October 31, 2011, 02:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Audio Technica and AKG make some clip on mics that might be able to be modded into the DT990's. But some of them will be out of your budget would probably require a little drilling for an elegant solution due to the driver grill on the earcups. I would recommend an AKG K701 for ~$250-$300 and then buying something like a Razer Carcharias to salvage the mic, I remember seeing something similar done a few times on a few forums. (the way the headband mounts to the earcup seems to make it easier to attach something) Unless you already bought the 990's.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:03 PM
Rookie

I haven't bought the DT990 yet. I looked at the AKG K701-2 when doing research for new headphones, and while they are one of the very best headphones for gaming, they don't have the overall balance of the DT990. I'm not looking for an average Razer microphone, as I'm sure I'll find something that's really good and fits my budget.

Turns out there is an Audio Engineer in my guild that might be able to help me with my problem. Modding a gooseneck microphone might be an option, but I'll have to find someone online that could do it, and I could trust.