Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 02:33 PM
MVP

Default Fix or replace my receiver?

I have a home theater (link below) set that I bought a while ago and unfortunately didnt realize that it had a design flaw resulting in some easily blown capasitors. Originally I was thinking of just buying some and fixing it myself (Samsung wants $150 to repair), but after looking online I have found 2 issues.

Amazon.com: Samsung HT-X50 5.1-Channel 5-Disc DVD Home Theater System: Electronics

1. I couldnt find a capacitor with the right specs in Canada, and shipping $1 worth of parts from the US will cost me $25 in shipping minimum
2. I dont know if the problem resides somewhere else, and a lot of people were posting that once you blow one you might have damage elsewhere. $30 is a lot to spend on a $150 - 200 set just to find out it still doesnt work.

So I am also open to buying a separate receiver instead of repairing if I need to. While the Samsung claims to be 1000w I have a feeling it doesnt use up nearly that much, so just how powerful of a receiver should I look for?

Would it be worth it to try to fix? I dont have a lot of cash to spare so I am going to be stuck with the same speakers for quite some time.

Audio noob needs your help!
Old October 18, 2011, 02:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Capacitors with the same uF rating but a higher voltage rating will also work. Phone some local electronic supply stores, you'll probably find what you need.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Gerrie ELectric has quite a few locations, they might be able to help. There are lots of electrical suppliers around still that will probably have Caps.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 19, 2011, 12:08 PM
MVP

Electronic supply was the magic words on google! I was just trying to search for capacitor sales and the like, ended up with a ton of US sites.
Im in Barrie now and SAYAL Electronics is only a 5-10 minute drive away, going to drop by later today and see if they have anything instore that works (website has a bunch, but it says to double check for local stock)

Oh and for anyone interested, apparently the capacitors get too hot at the very back and explode, but this can be prevented by changing the fan from blowing out to in. Silly design flaws and cheap electronics go hand in hand though I suppose.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just make sure you don't end up buying crap like CapXcon from that store. Make sure it's one of the *real* brands of quality capacitors like:

Nichicon
United Chemicon
Rubycon
Sanyo
Panasonic
NIC Components
Sanyo (OS-CON Polymers)
United Chemicon Polymers
Nichicon Polymers
Old October 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
MVP

Looks like they didnt have much instore that matched the specs, I ended up getting a couple made by Nissei Arcotronics Inc.

Cant find much of any information, other then it being a merger between Nissei from Japan and Arcotronics from italy.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Capacitors with the same uF rating but a higher voltage rating will also work.
*whistle+shiftyeyes*

(That was all they had! The local shop I went to did not even have five identical ones.. never mind ones with closer ratings.)

I wonder what will become of this intel board in the end. :P
I should also post some better pics in the rigs thread once I get closer to finishing it. :)

Okay, thread can go back on topic now.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:02 PM
MVP

Haha, thats almost what mine was going to look like, thankfully there were some smaller ones... although still 4 times the voltage the previous ones had.

Oh and I have a new found respect for people who can solder well, for I am not one of those people.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

depending on the circuit you can substitute the next closest uF in place of a value in a pinch.

I just recently did this with a Samsung monitor and it's currently still working.... (however the proper ones are on order...)
Old October 19, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
Haha, thats almost what mine was going to look like, thankfully there were some smaller ones... although still 4 times the voltage the previous ones had.

Oh and I have a new found respect for people who can solder well, for I am not one of those people.
luke you have the force of heat, is the secret and tin the parts before soldering