Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Which sound card to get? ~100 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/47360-sound-card-get-100-a.html)

esperasoppa October 15, 2011 07:10 PM

Which sound card to get? ~100

I've seen ppl recommending the Xonar Dx. Just wondering if there is any better one yet? (or coming soon)

I've never bought/owned sound card so is there any technical problem I should be aware of when choosing sound card? (such as driver issue?)

Jackquelegs October 15, 2011 07:29 PM

Xonar series is great overall for sound quality. They are pretty easy to work with out of the box, and doesn't need much tinkering to sound good. However there are small issues such as Mic lag without ASIO4all drivers mentioned in another thread here.

If you're just looking for great sound though, there's no doubt the DX offers great value.

As far as I know ASUS hasn't announced a new internal soundcard yet. Some of the things you need to look for in general is the DAC and the set of OPamps it uses if you're really into the technical stuff.

esperasoppa October 15, 2011 07:58 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I know nothing about technical stuff actually lol.

Yes I did notice you mentioned about ASIO driver in the other thread, but I won't be using mic, so it should be fine.

You said Xonar series...what is the difference between the DG and the DX? ( I think there are more D* too, but I'm not sure)

If it helps, I'm using the Logitech G51 speakers, but I might buy headsets too.

I used to have the Sony MDR V6 which were quite good but I gave them away. Can you suggest any good pairs that are good for both music (more important) and games for around 100 or less? (I guess I can pay a bit more if the jump in quality is worth it)

Thanks, : )

supaflyx3 October 15, 2011 08:37 PM

i don't really think its necessary to get a dedicated sound card if you aren't using high quality headphones, you probably won't notice a difference with sub $200 headphones.

Jackquelegs October 15, 2011 08:44 PM

Usually you can notice things with ~100$ headphones. :thumb:

SugarJ October 15, 2011 08:48 PM

I noticed the difference in sound quality between onboard and my DX with X-530's and $50 Sennheisers.

jcmaz October 15, 2011 09:37 PM

Same here... there is a difference between onboard and my HT Omega Striker with my $50 Panasonics. Heck, there is a difference even with an Audigy 2 ZS...

You can hear MORE detail in games and generally, sound quality is better.

terrybear October 15, 2011 09:51 PM

Creative is about to drop a new card series with what they claim a more advanced sound system with quad processing ... cant remember the name but believe it is in this last quarter or begining quarter of 12'

jcmaz October 15, 2011 09:55 PM

^Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D according to the below article.

Creative Debuts First New High-End SoundBlaster Cards in Years - X-bit labs

terrybear October 15, 2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 558154)
^Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D according to the below article.

Creative Debuts First New High-End SoundBlaster Cards in Years - X-bit labs

Yup thats the 1, but I can only imagine what they will charge for them ... :shok::shok::shok: