Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 02:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

this form is really is going some where unexpected as Killswitch had mentioned. However that is fine by me (O.P.). That means the person that started the Thread right? I'm getting a lot of technical information hear and I do google everything and learn what it all means. Again, I will say I am looking primarily for a sound card that features really good mic monitoring (or input monitoring) and good directionality. Sound quality I am not trying to go extreme but better than the on board of my gigabyte x58-ud5 would be nice. Its sound like slik may have owned quite a few cards, how have some of your cards performed on the mic monitoring spectrum?
Old October 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundwire123 View Post
this form is really is going some where unexpected as Killswitch had mentioned. However that is fine by me (O.P.). That means the person that started the Thread right? I'm getting a lot of technical information hear and I do google everything and learn what it all means. Again, I will say I am looking primarily for a sound card that features really good mic monitoring (or input monitoring) and good directionality. Sound quality I am not trying to go extreme but better than the on board of my gigabyte x58-ud5 would be nice. Its sound like slik may have owned quite a few cards, how have some of your cards performed on the mic monitoring spectrum?
OP means original poster, or person who started the tread.

Slik doesn't do any online gaming, therefore he never uses a mic. But as he said he finds his current Asus sound card to have great directional sound as does his Psyko headphones which is something to consider. Guys like Jackquelegs knock him for owning the Psykos but Slik finds they suit his needs more then any other 5.1 headset. Presently on top of the Psyko cans he's owns Roccat Kave's, Coolermaster Sirius, and a pair of Trittons. He's had a Turtle Beach Ear Force set before too but I can't remember the model.

He does a shit ton of gaming too so I take his word for it. It's like someone who drives a lot of different cars giving an opinion which one they like the most..... just because they aren't a mechanic doesn't mean they can't pick a good car.

I think if you're more concerned with overall gaming experience rather then actual audio quality you may want to consider the Psykos instead of the Ax Pros unless you're going to use them with your XBox too, in which case you'll need that external box for the fiber optic input. I listen to music as well as game with my headset otherwise I'd likely have a set of Psykos too.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I checked out those Psykos and I have to say I am not entirely convinced that they will work for me. Besides, I believe I have my mind set on the ax pros. Thank you for mentioning them though, I had not heard of them until now. I just found a feature under the onboard sound drivers (using Realtek HD Audio Manager) That does allow me to monitor the input and I am very impressed with the latency using the realtek chip. I can't tell of any latency whatsoever. I don't know how the onboard will do with directionality though, I have yet to find out. I think from this point I am going to go ahead and purchased the ax pro's and try them out with the onboard and go from their. If it works and I can get a sense of directionality, I think I'm going to stick with the onboard. I am fine with deleting this post at this point but am also curious what others might have to say. Thank's Killswitch for the feedback. by the way, I know how to post but how do you delete them?
Old October 17, 2011, 09:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You're very welcome! You don't have to worry about deleting this thread, as it may help someone else in one way or another.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey groundwire, I had a set of Tritton AX Pro's, and I can tell you,you won't be sorry. If I wasn't so hooked on Psyko,I would have kept the Tritton's. My wife has a set of Tritton HDa's, and she loves them. She had a set of Psyko's,but found the Tritton to be much more comfortable, and the surround and directional awareness is as close to Psyko as shit is to swearing. Have fun with your Tritton's. Let us know how much fun you are having when you get them. Good luck!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I shall do so. Thanks slik for the encouragement to go ahead with the ax pro's. I plan on the purchase date to be sometime around the release of COD MW3 (11-8-11). I hope that the onboard audio from Realtek will do me just fine. Would still like to know from others about their experience with various sound cards. So I'll leave this thread up and monitor it like a hawk.
Old October 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundwire123 View Post
I shall do so. Thanks slik for the encouragement to go ahead with the ax pro's. I plan on the purchase date to be sometime around the release of COD MW3 (11-8-11). I hope that the onboard audio from Realtek will do me just fine. Would still like to know from others about their experience with various sound cards. So I'll leave this thread up and monitor it like a hawk.
If you are going to go with a good set of headphones,sooner or later,you will need a good sound card. Like every thing else, you get what you pay for,so right now,you can get a very decent sound card for around $70,give or take. On board sound is not too bad these days,but it doesn't come close to a good sound card. Good luck!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5

Tags
gaming , mic , microphone , sound , sound card