Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Don't pay attention to Jackquelegs,Asus Xonar is the way to go. I have had many Creative cards and NONE beat the Xonar. Auzentech is way better than Creative too. Auzentech uses much better quality parts than Creative. I have also had many Auzentech cards,but I still find the Xonar cards to be superior for true analog, and digital 5.1 surround.
I LOL'd. So are you telling the OP to live with Xonar driver's 500ms mic latency without ASIO4ALL.

I'm curious, how did you compare the cards in terms of one beating another.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old October 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I LOL'd. So are you telling the OP to live with Xonar driver's 500ms mic latency without ASIO4ALL.

Xonar cards have very little latency with third party drivers. The same can't be said for Creative due to the lack of third party support. (ie Creative taking legal action against them)

Both Asus and Creative have equally pathetic driver support, (especially in Vista/7) the difference being Asus has yet to try and sue or threaten the people trying to fix their cards for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Don't pay attention to Jackquelegs,Asus Xonar is the way to go. I have had many Creative cards and NONE beat the Xonar. Auzentech is way better than Creative too. Auzentech uses much better quality parts than Creative. I have also had many Auzentech cards,but I still find the Xonar cards to be superior for true analog, and digital 5.1 surround.
You do realize that Auzentech is an OEM partner of Creative right? They use equal quality components, saying one brand is better than the other without any evidence just shows you're a blind fan boy. Asus also uses Creative as an OEM for their non Xonar lines.

To the OP, if you don't mind getting you feet wet with third party solutions, I would suggest a Xonar card as they offer the best price to sound quality/soundstage ratio. If gaming is your absolute priority and your games make use of Creative's proprietary sound enhancement features, go Creative. If both parties don't suit your needs I would start looking into Auzentech or an external DAC.
Old October 15, 2011, 08:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

its sounding to me that I would need to purchase a sound card that best suite's my needs. Well, my needs are not sound quality, nor all around support (third party) though that would be nice. What I really need is near 0 latency with the input/microphone monitor. I'll be using this card for the Tritton AX Pro's and CODMW3 game coming out soon. So I need surround, and again near "0" latency. so, I guess I just need some more feed back from others of their experience. Thanks all for the comments as they are all helping. I would like to leave the form up for a week or so, I'll be monitoring it closely. I also have another form under "linus tech tips and questions" titled "looking for a pair of headphones featuring talkback and surround". I'm willing to go either way. I just need the Monitoring of my voice and surround.
Old October 16, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post

I made my comparisons based on the quality of 5.1 analog surround in games and the stability of drivers etc. Even without EAX 5, my Xonar Xense gives a much more detailed directional awareness than my Titanium Fatality Pro. I know of the partnership between Creative and Auzentech,but in my opinion,the build quality of Auzentech seems a lot more solid. I have owned pretty much every new sound card available today that has 5.1 analog features, and so far, the Xonar Xense is the best gaming card in every sense. The only problem with the Xense,is trying to find one without the headphones. Not everyone looking for a sound card may be looking for headphones. If the new Creative HD had 5,1 analog,I would buy it. This is my opinion only. I am not a reviewer or sound engineer nor have I ever suggested I am. I'm just a gamer with the fortunate ability to get all the toys I think I need.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 16, 2011, 10:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
You do realize that Auzentech is an OEM partner of Creative right? They use equal quality components, saying one brand is better than the other without any evidence just shows you're a blind fan boy. Asus also uses Creative as an OEM for their non Xonar lines.
He's not blind..... Auzentech manufactures their own sound cards. They aren't re-branded Creative cards and are well known to be of higher quality.

I haven't seen any other Asus cards besides their Xonar series which to my knowledge all C-Media Oxygen HD audio processors. Auzentech also makes cards with the C-Media Oxygen processor such as the X-Meridian.

Last edited by Killswitch; October 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old October 16, 2011, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
He's not blind..... Auzentech manufactures their own sound cards. They aren't re-branded Creative cards and are well known to be of higher quality.

I haven't seen any other Asus cards besides their Xonar series which to my knowledge all C-Media Oxygen HD audio processors. Auzentech also makes cards with the C-Media Oxygen processor such as the X-Meridian.
Right on Killswitch. I had the X-Meridian too. Super card,but not as super as the Xense.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 16, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Out of Auzentech's current lineup, 3/6 cards are Creative OEM's, 2/6 are CM Media cards, and 1 is a VIA card. From a simple audio engineering perspective, not a single one of these cards is properly shielded or grounded. None of the cards use external power to avoid power noise issues. So I'd be led to believe that in terms of quality, they are equal.

Quote:
I was talking about onboard sound cards, Asus uses Creative for their motherboards and notebooks.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Xonar cards have very little latency with third party drivers. The same can't be said for Creative due to the lack of third party support. (ie Creative taking legal action against them)

Both Asus and Creative have equally pathetic driver support, (especially in Vista/7) the difference being Asus has yet to try and sue or threaten the people trying to fix their cards for them.
I agree that it's great once you get ASIO4ALL working on Xonars. However Creative ASIO drivers will work out of the box, and the DanielK lawsuit thing was YEARS ago....

To be honest, if the OP is fine with tweaking with ASIO4ALL, then by all means Xonars are great for everything you need. That's why I have a D2X and Essence STX

Quote:
I made my comparisons based on the quality of 5.1 analog surround in games and the stability of drivers etc. Even without EAX 5, my Xonar Xense gives a much more detailed directional awareness than my Titanium Fatality Pro. I know of the partnership between Creative and Auzentech,but in my opinion,the build quality of Auzentech seems a lot more solid. I have owned pretty much every new sound card available today that has 5.1 analog features, and so far, the Xonar Xense is the best gaming card in every sense. The only problem with the Xense,is trying to find one without the headphones. Not everyone looking for a sound card may be looking for headphones. If the new Creative HD had 5,1 analog,I would buy it. This is my opinion only. I am not a reviewer or sound engineer nor have I ever suggested I am. I'm just a gamer with the fortunate ability to get all the toys I think I need.
I thought you were serious until I read "the build quality of Auzentech seems a lot more solid". I like more channel separation as well, but I like to keep 200$ for more useful things if you're comparing the Fatality Pro to the Xense, especially IF I'm using Psykos which can't reproduce any fidelity.

Also a Xense without headphones is called a D2X as they are very similar in spec. If you don't want to use the PC350s(150ohms) bundled in the xense package, then the set of OPamps on the Xense is practically useless (other than coloring the sound).

Have you heard, one who buys everything tend not to know what they buy?

Quote:
Out of Auzentech's current lineup, 3/6 cards are Creative OEM's, 2/6 are CM Media cards, and 1 is a VIA card. From a simple audio engineering perspective, not a single one of these cards is properly shielded or grounded. None of the cards use external power to avoid power noise issues. So I'd be led to believe that in terms of quality, they are equal.
Indeed. Auzentech does offer better DACs (at times) as part of their cards, but the circuitry and build quality is hardly worth mentioning over a Creative branded. IIRC I still have soundblaster audigy 4s that work just fine

Also yes, external DAC may be a choice, but most are stereo.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old October 16, 2011, 10:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes, Auzentech makes their six sound cards based around different audio processors from those three other companies. Just as Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, Asus, EVGA and others make motherboards based around chipsets from AMD, Intel, and Nvidia.

If you are an audio engineer then I'll take your word, Auzentech cards are no better then any others.

All I know is I have stated what my setup is and how it works regarding mic monitoring.
All the other posts look like a pissing contest regarding who knows what.
It's sad when guys like Slik aren't entitled to their opinion without being mocked.
HWC isn't the same as what it used to be. This forum is going downhill.

Last edited by Killswitch; October 16, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks again Killswitch. I think the problem here, is people just don't know me. I have always clarified that I am not a sound engineer or an expert when I give my opinions on a piece of hardware,i.e. sound cards and headphones. I don't know a dac from a dic or an opamp or any other particular parts. I DO however,know what I hear out of headphones and sound cards. I always want the best out of all peripherals available for gaming. I am very very fortunate to have a wife who is also an avid gamer. When I want to buy something new or upgrade etc.,she understands where I'm going. We have no children, and are not obligated monetarily to anyone. I buy new stuff on a regular basis,and when I try whatever it is i buy,I share my opinions with my fellow members here at H.C. I am one of the few that can give opinions based on comparisons with every piece of hardware available. If my opinion is that product A is better than products C,D or E, it's based on my already owning C,D and E. What better way to find,and give an opinion? The operative word here, is, Opinion.

Tags
gaming , mic , microphone , sound , sound card