Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2011, 04:33 PM
Rookie

Default Logitech X-530's popping

Generally when listening to music, playing games and watching movies all satellites make a popping sound and this has only started to happen. Also I should mention that this happens infrequently and i am worried about my $100 AUD investment. I have tried using different players for music and videos with no luck. I am using a USB to 5.1 external sound card from Zalman.

All opinions are welcome.
Old November 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Have you reinstalled or updated your audio drivers ?
Old November 20, 2011, 05:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

How old are the speakers? This happened with my old Logitechs back in the day. Wasnt long before I had to trash them.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Have you tried the speakers with another sound source other than your computer?

A popping noise sounds more like a soundcard/driver issue than faulty speakers.

I've been using Logitech speakers since replacing my old Klipsch ProMedias with Z560s and the only problem I've ever had was a dirty potentiometer.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Try your sound card, same instances in just headphones or alternative speakers. If you hear the popping it's the PC/Sound card. Maybe latency is too low for what you want or the card has hardware issues.

If you don't notice anything try the speakers on an iPod or some other source, same material if you can and check for pops. None of these generic speakers are shielded very well nor do they have great power management. It's very possible a capacitor is failing and upon releasing stored energy it sends too much and pops. My older M-Audio BX5s did this simply because of cheap parts.

Hope you get your sound up and running!
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Seasonic X-660
Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm
Old November 25, 2011, 02:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do they all pop? If not, try switching them around. It's unlikely all the speakers will go at the same time. Use your motherboard's onboard audio to test them. I've been using refurbished X-540's for a few years now with no problems.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old November 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

My Z-640's just started doing the same thing, I'm gonna dissect then on Sunday and see where the trouble lies (it's not the PC, headphones plugged into the PC - A-OK, plugged into the Z-640's, SNAP Crackle POP) Probably a blown/bad cap or something.