Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2011, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect

Default Auzentech X-FI Home Theatre HD Issue

Hello Everyone!

I have this soundcard:

Auzentech, Inc. X-Fi Home Theater HD : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

I have the latest drivers (August 2010 lol).

Windows 7, Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, 2600k etc.

The soundcard works perfectly fine in 5.1 analogue mode to my Tritton 5.1 headset.

The issue is with getting the Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect encoding to work.

I have the soundcard connected via SPDIF/TOSLINK to an older Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver with a set of Jamo 5.1 speakers.

While playing movies DTS and DD work just fine, so I believe the receiver is working just fine. When I enable the DD+ or DTS-Connect encoding it would "appear" to be fine as the DD or DTS logo will light up on the receiver.

However launching a game = no audio. Playing music = "error with playback device". When I disable the encoding it works fine again but it is only 2 channel PCM.

This is not a real deal breaker, but I would like for this feature to work, it will make my PC gaming experience more enjoyable for single player games where I am not using a headset.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I could avoid this issue by using the 5.1 analogue inputs on my receiver, but that would be a pain in the ass to either buy a 5.1 analogue audio switch, or by manually plugging in cables every time.
Old September 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
Top Prospect

I figured this out, I wasn't paying attention, as their actual instructions makes no sense, but it does work.

You have to enable DD+ or DTS encoding, set the output to SPDIF or HDMI (whatever it is that you're using to connect to your receiver), THEN set your playback device to Auzentech / Speakers... instead of the much more logical Auzentech SPDIF / HDMI.

FWIW, it works quite well, rather than getting just stereo sound via SPDIF, you can actually get proper positional audio now (whatever multi-channel audio the game engine uses is now encoded realtime to a DD+ or DTS stream).