Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default CM Storm Sirus 5.1 USB only?

I purchased a set of these headphones and was surprised to find that there is NO way to use analog connection to your sound card and use the speaker volume control pod. When connected to your sound card with the included 3.5 analog jacks there is NO way to adjust the volume. I called CM and the tech guy I spoke to was just as surprised as I was. He said they would change thier web site to properly indicate that problem. As it stands right now,if you want the ability to increase or decrease speaker volumes,you MUST go the USB route to use the volume control pod. When the headphones are plugged into the sound card,that's it. No way to use any functions of the sound pod or any software. Go figure. Just a heads up everbody.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 25, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

96 viewers and no one has any concern?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 25, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
96 viewers and no one has any concern?
I dont really get it, this was fairly well documented in every review/preview that I read on these., you use the Tactical pod for USB, since the pod contains the C Media chip, use the analog connections removes the usb pod from the setup and the CMedia chip, so tring to adjust via the CM software that is for the Cmedia chip no wont work.
As stated in the reviews if you want to use analog then you use your SOUNDCARDs chipset (so no CM software or pod) to change the volume and any enhancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 25, 2011, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

Our CM rep said that they will likely sell an analogue version with a control pod for line volumes as well.

In the meantime I'll make do with my tritton's.

TRITTON Technologies Inc. :: PC510
Old August 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
Our CM rep said that they will likely sell an analogue version with a control pod for line volumes as well.

In the meantime I'll make do with my tritton's.

TRITTON Technologies Inc. :: PC510
Hmmm what I heard was that yes there is a pure Analog version in the works but no NA wont be getting them as they will be released in the Asian market and will retail for $99 compared to the $130 MSRP of the current Sirus.
Things do change this was over a week ago.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old August 25, 2011, 11:51 AM
Top Prospect

Well I hope they bring them in. It would be a very good set to have. I like my Tritton's but they don't feel very comfortable.
Old August 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I dont really get it, this was fairly well documented in every review/preview that I read on these., you use the Tactical pod for USB, since the pod contains the C Media chip, use the analog connections removes the usb pod from the setup and the CMedia chip, so tring to adjust via the CM software that is for the Cmedia chip no wont work.
As stated in the reviews if you want to use analog then you use your SOUNDCARDs chipset (so no CM software or pod) to change the volume and any enhancements.
I was referring to the inability to adjust the volume when using 5.1 analog. This was NOT clarified in any promotional info available. I called CM support over this and the tech rep was not aware of that concern. He said he owned a set,but used the USB and didn't find out. His name is Marvin and he was just as surprised as I was to find no volume control. He also said they would change thier web site to indicate that information. I'm fully aware that you can't use USB software with analog modes. My concern was the lack of a volume control for the analog connection method. You can set the volume from you sound card or windows,but once you're in game,there is no way. Apparently,CM has a module or something in the works.
Old August 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
Well I hope they bring them in. It would be a very good set to have. I like my Tritton's but they don't feel very comfortable.
I purchased the CMs for my wife. She tried all the headphones I have,and out of all,she preferred the Tritton 510 HDa set. The fact that the CMs were both USB and analog,and that it seemed they were very light,I figured,what the hell,we will try them. After a few hours of gaming,she went back to the Tritton's. More comfortable and better sound with analog over CMs USB. The Tritton's also fit better around her ears where the CMs pinched a bit. Overall though,the new CMs are damn good for the price. $108 at Newegg.
Old August 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I was referring to the inability to adjust the volume when using 5.1 analog. This was NOT clarified in any promotional info available. I called CM support over this and the tech rep was not aware of that concern. He said he owned a set,but used the USB and didn't find out. His name is Marvin and he was just as surprised as I was to find no volume control. He also said they would change thier web site to indicate that information. I'm fully aware that you can't use USB software with analog modes. My concern was the lack of a volume control for the analog connection method. You can set the volume from you sound card or windows,but once you're in game,there is no way. Apparently,CM has a module or something in the works.
Quote:
delivering accurate real-time 360 degree audio that is fully adjustable through its tactical mixing console.
Taken from the main page
CM Storm Products: Sirus

Now I agree that it does not say a lick of info about analog anywhere on that page so it would be safe to assume that they are talking about USB connections.

If you go to the review linked on the Sirus's Page and read the review linked, CM Storm Sirus Headset Review | Hardware Secrets
Quote:
The console requires two USB ports to be connected. If the user chooses the analog connection, he/she forgoes the console, but still needs to have a spare USB port to light up the CM Storm logo.
IDK , and dont take me the wrong way it is the internet, but I knew that if using the analog connections that the software and chipset's higher functions would not work and after seeing the 2 different connections on line figured out pretty darn quick that the pod was not used in analog mode.

I will write up something on the CM Storms FAQ though that clearly states that the Tactical Pod is only available to use in USB mode tonight.

I do agree that at least volume/mute/micmute would have been damn useful via the pod.

Quote:
Old August 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I purchased the CMs for my wife. She tried all the headphones I have,and out of all,she preferred the Tritton 510 HDa set. The fact that the CMs were both USB and analog,and that it seemed they were very light,I figured,what the hell,we will try them. After a few hours of gaming,she went back to the Tritton's. More comfortable and better sound with analog over CMs USB. The Tritton's also fit better around her ears where the CMs pinched a bit. Overall though,the new CMs are damn good for the price. $108 at Newegg.
I remember trying them on when the CM rep dropped by. I guess I have a fat head or something, the CM definitely feel more comfortable for me vs the Tritton PC510 HDA.

Of course the Corsair HS1 were the most comfortable, and by far. I gave them away to a co-worker though :P