Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default X-Fi Titanium HD question

So I'm thinking of upgrading from my Audigy LS (PCI) card due to some strange conflict with my wireless card that I just cannot seem to solve.

Judging by reviews, the new x-fi seems like a good way to go. If I had a sound card in the past it has always been by Creative. I understand that they have sort of gone down the crapper in the last few years, but from what I understand the new x-fi is built for Vista/7.

Anyways, I was having a look at my new Motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V) and I couldn't help but notice that while it does have a PCI-E x1 slot, unlike previous motherboards this X1 slot is, for lack of a better term full length, as if it was made for a GPU. Previous mobo's have always had that tiny PCI-E connector.

So, going about it the long winded ways, if I buy this new PCI-E sound card, will it sit correctly in the elongated slot?

Thanks.
Old August 7, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes. You'll have a large empty space in the slot behind the card, but you can certainly use it.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

ok so i recently switched to onboard sound because my old sound card was causing problems and getting interference from my wireless card.

Admittidly, it sounds pretty decent. Much better than I thought.

Now I can only wonder if upgrading to X-fi Titanium HD is worth it...
Old August 10, 2011, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Keep in mind that the HD does NOT have 5.1 analog. Digital surround only.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

well i only use 2.1 so should be fine right? an improvement over onboard?
Old August 10, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What speakers are you using them with?

Also don't worry about what Slik said. Doesn't really apply to you

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 10, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
What speakers are you using them with?

Also don't worry about what Slik said. Doesn't really apply to you
LOL

Yes it definately depends what speakers you are using if you are thinking of buying a new soundcard. You don't really want to spend alot of money on a soundcard if your speakers can't really use it to it's potential. Although, even on shit speakers I can usually tell the differnce beten onbaord and dedicated sound card if it's decent card.

FYI you can use any PCI-express card with a lower number than the slot you're putting it in, if you know what I mean ;) And by that I mean x8 can go into x16, x4 can go into x8, x1 can go into x4, etc. As long as the number is the same or lower.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Keep in mind that the HD does NOT have 5.1 analog. Digital surround only.
If you have decent onboard sound that supports things like Dolby Digital Live etc... and choose to go the digital route by connecting via Spdif to a receiver, the 200 dollar sound card would do exactly the same thing right? 1's and 0's will always be 1's and 0's right? The difference is if you try to connect via analogue correct?

Secondary question, I have a Auzen Home Theatre HD soundcard right now. If I went with surround sound it would be better to connect via analogue since my high end soundcard does a better job of it than the DAC on a standard receiver, right?
Old August 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

actually using Logitech Z-2300's right now, i know people complain about its mid range or whatever but TBH, they suit me just fine.

Since switching to on-board, I have to say I quite enjoy it, so mayhaps I get more enjoyment out of a sound card? Who knows.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look into the ASUS Xonar DX. It's great value, cheaper than the titanium, sound quality is close, but with your speakers you won't notice the difference between the two..

This will get you better sound than onboard at a decent price. Use the money saved to invest in some nice headphones or something.

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI-E Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital 116DB SNR W/ Low Profile Bracket - DirectCanada