Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
If you have decent onboard sound that supports things like Dolby Digital Live etc... and choose to go the digital route by connecting via Spdif to a receiver, the 200 dollar sound card would do exactly the same thing right? 1's and 0's will always be 1's and 0's right? The difference is if you try to connect via analogue correct?

Secondary question, I have a Auzen Home Theatre HD soundcard right now. If I went with surround sound it would be better to connect via analogue since my high end soundcard does a better job of it than the DAC on a standard receiver, right?
Analog is a TRUE surround. Emulated 5.1 or 7.1 just don't cut it for me.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 11, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How would it be emulated if it's sending a digital 5.1 signal to the receiver?

By having analog 5.1 on the card vs. digital 5.1 on the receiver, you're just using the DAC on the onboard chip rather than on the receiver.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
How would it be emulated if it's sending a digital 5.1 signal to the receiver?

By having analog 5.1 on the card vs. digital 5.1 on the receiver, you're just using the DAC on the onboard chip rather than on the receiver.
Digital surround is emulated surround. ONLY analog provides a true 5.1 surround.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok... I think I you mean that it's compressed and not lossless PCM.

SPDIF will transport multi-channel compressed audio like AC3 or DTS.
Old August 11, 2011, 06:59 PM
MVP

Just to confirm, the Spidif on your motherboard is the same as the spidif on your soundcard right?
Old August 11, 2011, 07:12 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Just to confirm, the Spidif on your motherboard is the same as the spidif on your soundcard right?
Yes for most part. Sound quality wise it will be exactly the same.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
What speakers are you using them with?

Also don't worry about what Slik said. Doesn't really apply to you
Sure it matters. Any decent sound card SHOULD have analog connections. For the money Creative wants for that card it should have the option of Digital AND analog. That was my point in reminding potential buyers.
Old August 12, 2011, 11:05 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Sure it matters. Any decent sound card SHOULD have analog connections. For the money Creative wants for that card it should have the option of Digital AND analog. That was my point in reminding potential buyers.
It does.
Old August 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I like it when you argue about 5.1 sound when the OP has a 2.1 system

Quote:
Analog is a TRUE surround. Emulated 5.1 or 7.1 just don't cut it for me
Quote:
Digital surround is emulated surround. ONLY analog provides a true 5.1 surround.
Like zoob said, it's just a matter of which DAC you choose to use to convert the signal. Most of the time I would prefer to use the one closest to the speakers for less interference.

So please, be relevant

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I like it when you argue about 5.1 sound when the OP has a 2.1 system

Like zoob said, it's just a matter of which DAC you choose to use to convert the signal. Most of the time I would prefer to use the one closest to the speakers for less interference.

So please, be relevant
You should pay a little more attention to what you read. I was making a point related to a sound card that does not have analog inputs. And as I said..for a card that costs as much as the Creative HD,it should allow the owner the option for analog whether he uses it or not. One never knows,a good buy on a 5.1 analog desk top speaker system may come along. Not only that, most people I know,have 5.1 analog desk top speakers. They are the most common and in my opinion,Creative should have considered that. Especially when the card is as expensive as it is. I did not argue 5.1, I merely mentioned my preference and the FACT that 5.1 analog is the only true surround. It seems that every comment I make in this forum offends you. Did I piss in your cornflakes? Gimme a break. I just give my OPINIONS.