Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Default Soundcard or DAC for Stereo Setup on PC

Hi everyone,

I have recently started into the magnificently addicting world of building my own speakers. I am currently working on an Overnight Sensations build (will post pics when done, just will be doing all the final wiring and finishing in the next week or two) and will be using these 2 bookshelves for my computer setup for listening to music.

Currently I have just the onboard audio for my eVGA 750i FTW motherboard, but am trying to figure out what to get on top of this. I have a Dayton DTA-100a to power the speakers, but I am trying to decide what to use to connect them to the computer. I dont want to use my onboard, as I know it will not be good enough in sound quality. I mainly listen to FLAC, and would like to get something that can reproduce this well (sorry if I am missing anything, still just slightly working my way into the world of the audiophiles )

Should I be getting just a ASUS PCI-e sound card like the Xonar, or should I be getting a DAC to connect to the computer? Budget would be $100 max to be able to complete this setup.

Thanks in advance,

kragnorok
Old July 29, 2011, 10:16 PM

My System Specs

Xonar DX would be a good choice if buying new. For $100 it probably would be better than any DAC.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most good DAC's I can think of are slightly over your budget and you'll still be limited by onboard sound. IIRC the audio chipset on that board can't support higher than a 96khz sampling rate, so it might be a bit of a waste for your flac recodings.

The Xonar DX mentioned earlier and the PCI version (D1) are well under budget ($70-$80 minus $20 MIR) and should provide a noticeable difference.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:17 PM

My System Specs

Flac's are generally still copied from a CD anyways, meaning 44/16 anyways.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:36 PM
Rookie

Hey everyone,

Thanks as always for the info, appreciate it :). Will be buying one of the Xonars for when the speakers are finished!

Cheers