Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Xonar DX problem...

So my new build has an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard. And for sound quality from it, I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately, I've run in to a bit of a dilemma... It seems that I can't plug both headphones and 2.1 speakers in to it and have them both work. Even if I plug the headphones in to the front panel, which is connected to the soundcard, I can't get any sound from them? I did some quick research online and found that this seems to be common.

I don't get it... why have a front panel connector if you can't use it? I have to be missing something. I would be extremely dissapointed if my $100 sound card can't do something as basic as run speakers (Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia on a single stereo jack) and a headset (Razer Carcharias) at the same time. Even my on board sound lets me run them both and select via software.

I have the latest driver/software install from ASUS. I've been all through the software looking for some way to do this, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Or am I missing something?
Old July 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt ASUS bothered to implement that feature.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check out the workarounds people have been using, as you already said it's a common issue. These types of issues are usually driver related and affect all Xonar products that are C Media OEM's. If there isn't anything somebody else has done, you're likely out of luck.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Check out the workarounds people have been using, as you already said it's a common issue. These types of issues are usually driver related and affect all Xonar products that are C Media OEM's. If there isn't anything somebody else has done, you're likely out of luck.
I've been looking around and unfortunately haven't been able to find any workarounds. Some people have stated they can manually switch the output from the control panel, but my front panel connectors don't even show up as an option.
Old July 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could try and see if third party drivers will give you the option, I hear the C Media drivers often have very simple issues that nobody bothers to fix.

UNi Xonar brainbit | Unified Xonar Drivers

These are basically the C Media drivers with problematic features/components removed.
Old July 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I've been looking around and unfortunately haven't been able to find any workarounds. Some people have stated they can manually switch the output from the control panel, but my front panel connectors don't even show up as an option.
I have to switch in the xonar control center, I too do not see a option in windows to enable the FP headjack.
I was also disappointed to see this feature missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a DX, and the switch to FP Headphones is in the control center. Check that your FP connection is the HD Audio one and not the AC'97 wiring, and plugged in correctly.

However, I also changed to using a y-cable to the rear jack, as the headphone amp is on the rear jack only and I was tired of having an amp hanging off the front of my case.
Old July 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Plantronics | .Audio PC Switcher

Solution!
Old July 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I have a DX, and the switch to FP Headphones is in the control center. Check that your FP connection is the HD Audio one and not the AC'97 wiring, and plugged in correctly.

However, I also changed to using a y-cable to the rear jack, as the headphone amp is on the rear jack only and I was tired of having an amp hanging off the front of my case.
I didn't realize the option was there in the Xonar control center to swap to the front panel. Thanks for that! (Both you and SG) However, I've now tested it and the sound quality is garbage from the front. Looks like I'm going the way of the splitter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I actually already have one of those, and I considered using it. But the cabling on it is very low quality, and and the switch is starting to give me trouble. Low wiring tends to translate to bad sound quality, and the crackling from the switch is a no-go.

I looked around for a higher quality switch, but can't seem to find one that also includes a mic jack.